It's Time To Bench Chris Davis

LookitsPuck

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's much Davis can do to salvage his season right now.

Looking closer, it's actually pretty remarkable. He's got 22 homers, which gives him an outside shot at 30. We've seen him go on extreme tears before. It's quite possible he could finish with 30 homers and 75 rbi which would be impressive considering how awful his batting average is.

His batting average and on base percentage is still separated by .100 points, I don't think there's anyone else in our lineup that can say that.

I really like Chris Davis, he's shown an extreme amount of professionalism this year. Things have definitely not gone his way but you don't hear any whining, any complaining. Manny goes down, he shifts to third, no questions asked.

I know we're all disappointed with his season, no ones probably more disappointed than him. But I'm still really happy he's an Oriole and I hope that he can give us some of that 2012 magic he had down the stretch.

Looking closer, it's actually pretty remarkable. He's got 22 homers, which gives him an outside shot at 30. We've seen him go on extreme tears before. It's quite possible he could finish with 30 homers and 75 rbi which would be impressive considering how awful his batting average is.

His batting average and on base percentage is still separated by .100 points, I don't think there's anyone else in our lineup that can say that.

I really like Chris Davis, he's shown an extreme amount of professionalism this year. Things have definitely not gone his way but you don't hear any whining, any complaining. Manny goes down, he shifts to third, no questions asked.

I know we're all disappointed with his season, no ones probably more disappointed than him. But I'm still really happy he's an Oriole and I hope that he can give us some of that 2012 magic he had down the stretch.

I agree. Nice one, Moose.

Great post. Spot on. This is the thing: we really need him now. We've gotten to this point in the season with a minimal contribution from him. Just catch fire now Chris and take us home in the post-season!! Hey, stranger things have happened.

Can the O's afford to hand him the first base job and the 11 million or so in salary that goes with it?

I think it's a much wiser use of resources with minimal LT commitment than any FA signing of note would require. Further, I don't think there is any reason to rush Walker. If Davis sucks and we call up Walker halfway through the season, then we can be happy that we only wasted $11/1. He has too much upside IMO based on prior performances to cast aside. Even 2012 Davis would be worth that contract pretty easily. Pearce isn't really an option at first as I think we pencil him in as a member of the LF/DH rotations for 2015.

I think it hinges on several things.

1 - Being how far this roster makes it, into the playoffs. The further they go, would make one try and keep the roster together as they can. Of course, my opinion. Hard to read DD on future roster planning.

2 - The biggest thing, will be payroll, what would it take and how can they juggle the money to make it work?

As you note, they have prospects on the farm learning, but unless Walker is on fire for ST, hard to see him getting a starting slot, like Schoop did this year.

Depends on what he does the rest of the way. If it's more of the same then I would try to trade him and use the 10 M toward other things. Maybe Miller, and Cuddyer (who also plays 1B). Pearce can play 1B. Worst case scenario is he regresses to his .750 OPS mean.

Depends on what he does the rest of the way. If it's more of the same then I would try to trade him and use the 10 M toward other things. Maybe Miller, and Cuddyer (who also plays 1B). Pearce can play 1B. Worst case scenario is he regresses to his .750 OPS mean.

The worst case scenario for a 32 year-old first baseman with a career OPS of .744 in his first season penciled in as an everyday MLB starter is a .750 OPS? What was Chris Davis' worst case scenario heading into this season?

I most definitely bring Davis back next year on essentially a 1/10 type of contract. If he sucks again, he can still backup 1B/3B/LF-RF. You bring back Pearce and Davis and see what happens. As for this year, every time Davis goes to LF, I regain a flicker of hope.

Boras is his agent, do you really think he allows this type of contract?

There's no sense in benching Davis when you can bat him 7th and when you have a DH and when Manny is injured.

I don't put too much worry as to the title of the thread. If we DFA'd, benched, demoted, traded, etc. every player that the collective OH seemed to want have happen at some point or another throughout the season, I'm not sure we could field a starting lineup, let alone compete.

He's not a FA. He's arbitration eligible. What do you think he gets in arbitration.

Thanks for the correction, with so many guys with contract options and end of contracts, hard to keep straight.

Good question. if he catches fire and continues to hit homers, then his figure will raise.

Thanks for the correction, with so many guys with contract options and end of contracts, hard to keep straight.

Good question. if he catches fire and continues to hit homers, then his figure will raise.

Well, I think there's multiple things going on here. Some of his traditional numbers (which are pretty important for arb) are still good in HRs and RBI, but the most traditional of baseball stats, batting average, does not look very good for him, and even the hottest of hot streaks that is reasonable to hope for won't likely get him above .225 on the season.

Well, I think there's multiple things going on here. Some of his traditional numbers (which are pretty important for arb) are still good in HRs and RBI, but the most traditional of baseball stats, batting average, does not look very good for him, and even the hottest of hot streaks that is reasonable to hope for won't likely get him above .225 on the season.

I dont see his average getting much better.

But, HRs, RBIs and OPS will drive his arb figure for sure.

Archived