Mandatory metal detectors at Camden Yards

crowmst3k!

I think something like 700 million people flew on commercial airlines last year in the US. Let's say each of them spent an extra hour getting to the airport early to account for all of the security. That's 700 million hours. At $50 an hour that's $35,000,000,000 (billion). Is that worthwhile to attempt to lessen this risk of another terrorist attack? Maybe. But it's at least worthwhile to have the discussion.
Terrorism is about perception The perception of being at risk, not the reality. Like wise security is about the perception of being safe, not the fact of it. You are dealing with a crowded theatre and you don't want anyone to shout fire.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think something like 700 million people flew on commercial airlines last year in the US. Let's say each of them spent an extra hour getting to the airport early to account for all of the security. That's 700 million hours. At $50 an hour that's $35,000,000,000 (billion). Is that worthwhile to attempt to lessen this risk of another terrorist attack? Maybe. But it's at least worthwhile to have the discussion.

IF your math was correct, then yes, of course its worth a discussion. But where do you get $50 an hour from? The way I see it, its more like, "Do I get to the airport 2 hours early like they ask me to, or do I sleep in until I am rushing around like an idiot, then complain about the traffic and security that caused me to miss my plane?"

I guess there's always two ways to see the same picture.

My daughter was in the cafeteria a couple years ago at Perry Hall High when the nutjob opened fire on kids in the cafeteria. I'm not going to come on here and rant and rave about what should or shouldn't be done, but I will say that taking a few minutes to go through a metal detector has an entirely different perspective when someone you love is a few feet away from an event like that.

I'm glad your daughter is ok, and I understand the sentiment. But it has to be a balancing act. Didn't Perry Hall have metal detectors? Most high schools seem to nowadays.

We spend hundreds of billions on security and there are still a million holes. I work on a Navy base and today, right now, it would be trivial for there to be an incident here.

If one life is saved by the use of these metal detectors, than that one life if worth the extra 5 minutes it might take us to get through the gate.

yes, that that's why they should also do random strip searches at the gate as well.....as long as it saves a life, I'm ok with it.

IF your math was correct, then yes, of course its worth a discussion. But where do you get $50 an hour from? The way I see it, its more like, "Do I get to the airport 2 hours early like they ask me to, or do I sleep in until I am rushing around like an idiot, then complain about the traffic and security that caused me to miss my plane?"

I guess there's always two ways to see the same picture.

Just a round number that's probably on the low end of a typical business traveler. Where I work in SoMd we just write off the whole day if you have to travel because of the delays at the airport, so your entire day is going to be unproductive. In fact, if you're going somewhere like Long Island or even Charleston or Groton you might just drive because of how long it takes to get through the airport. And it's not just the security line, they've now moved rental cars off-site for security reasons so that's another 30 or 45 minutes.

yes, that that's why they should also do random strip searches at the gate as well.....as long as it saves a life, I'm ok with it.

Based on the scenery I've seen at Camden Yards, I would have no issues being in line watching some of these fine ladies get strip searched!

Just a round number that's probably on the low end of a typical business traveler. Where I work in SoMd we just write off the whole day if you have to travel because of the delays at the airport, so your entire day is going to be unproductive. In fact, if you're going somewhere like Long Island or even Charleston or Groton you might just drive because of how long it takes to get through the airport. And it's not just the security line, they've now moved rental cars off-site for security reasons so that's another 30 or 45 minutes.

For business travel you are spot on. I travel a few times a year for business, and its basically two lost days.

Not sure I attribute all of that to security, but a large part is. I guess I'm okay with that as an expense of travel. If I had to do that to go to a grocery store, I'd have issues with it.

Terrorism is about perception The perception of being at risk, not the reality. Like wise security is about the perception of being safe, not the fact of it. You are dealing with a crowded theatre and you don't want anyone to shout fire.

I think/agree/concur that a lot of the security measures they've taken in the last 13 years are as much for the effect on public perception as they are for any real reduction in risk.

You could easily get a gun into a baseball stadium that has metal detectors. It really would not deter anyone.

I go into the stadium early and a friend meets me there than I hand them a ticket through one of the 1,000,000 bars that fences the entire stadium. They could hand me a backpack for of guns if they wanted while I am already inside.

I could even sit something through the fence come in and get it myself if I wanted too.

Yea, you can get weapons through these bars or even just throw them overtop if you are lazy. Don't know who this kid is but I bet there are a bunch of guns in that bag...

6_andrew_outside_the_gates_10_08_12.jpg

Archived