Kevin Millar - Worst 1st Baseman in Baseball???

MPK76

I'm sorry but if you don't have a problem with the stunts he pulled during the world series this past year than I truly can't respect you as a true O's fan, I just can't.....:002_scry:
I have difficulty accepting any one who can't tolerate a differing opinion. This thread is about Millar's performance on the field, during the season, not about what he does in the offseason.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides, everyone knows that BA is the most empty stat in baseball. LH hit a bunch of singles last year en rout to a .290 average. Does that make him good? The real stat is definitely OBP, and I'm pretty sure that Millar's OBP, .365, is just fine.

Hitting 17 HR is not bad for a first baseman, I don't care what they say.

He is a leader on the field and off the field, contributing to many charity efforts. That's like saying that Roberts had a bad year because he had only 57 RBI's. These sportswriters don't have a number that registers how important someone is in the locker room.

Besides, who cares that he threw out the ball for the Red Sox? He spent a number of years with them, and probably misses some of them very much. Throwing out the ball at a major league game does not say that you lay your alliegances with this team. I can safely say that he likes being an Orioles just as much as he liked being on the Sox.

Now people like Aubrey Huff, who actually insulted Baltimore, have got to go. Now.

Read this:

http://oriolesandlobster.blogspot.com/2008/01/case-against-millar.html

The guy is going to fall off the table soon and he's blocking guys that should get a shot. Millar has no place on a rebuilding team. That's my take...

If Millar was blocking a hot first base prospect, I'd agree. Not sure that's the case.

There is a chance he gets off to a hot start and might be worth more than a bag of balls at the trade deadline. Costanzo can get some at bats at Triple A and if he's ready, he slides in after Millar is traded. Without any better option, a rebuilding team can take that risk.

Besides, everyone knows that BA is the most empty stat in baseball. LH hit a bunch of singles last year en rout to a .290 average. Does that make him good? The real stat is definitely OBP, and I'm pretty sure that Millar's OBP, .365, is just fine.

Hitting 17 HR is not bad for a first baseman, I don't care what they say.

He is a leader on the field and off the field, contributing to many charity efforts. That's like saying that Roberts had a bad year because he had only 57 RBI's. These sportswriters don't have a number that registers how important someone is in the locker room.

Besides, who cares that he threw out the ball for the Red Sox? He spent a number of years with them, and probably misses some of them very much. Throwing out the ball at a major league game does not say that you lay your alliegances with this team. I can safely say that he likes being an Orioles just as much as he liked being on the Sox.

Now people like Aubrey Huff, who actually insulted Baltimore, have got to go. Now.

It's not the first pitch that has people like me so angry. It's the promo he cut ahead of time. When he identified himself with Red Sox Nation. When he said "we' when refering to Red Sox players. He sold himself and his team out to cater to Fox and to Red Sox fans. That is what he is accused of. You do not say you are a member of a rival team while under contract to the Orioles. That's disrespecting the history of your club. Trembley didn't like it, that's for sure. For a team that needs to have more pride and values regarding it's history, Millar's sellout act should not be welcome. He's as loyal to the Orioles and as much of a leader as Reggie Jackson was...

I have difficulty accepting any one who can't tolerate a differing opinion. This thread is about Millar's performance on the field, during the season, not about what he does in the offseason.

Nigel Powers: "All right Goldmember. Don't play the laughing boy. There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."

These are the 1st baseman that had an OPS over 800 in 2007.. You will notice 8 of these players had less than 221 at bats, 10 had less than 361 at bats.

Millar had a 785 OPS, 806 against LHP, 786 against RHP in 476 combined AB's…

He is clearly valuable.

Take into account his second half:

.234 AVG .338 OBP .402 SLG .740 OPS

You want that batting behind Nick Markakis? He's 36, so those numbers are likely to drop not improve. Why not see what Scott Moore can do at 1st if we can't deal Mora?

I'm in the minority here, that doesn't like Millar. But I think this is a poor assessment. He's far from the worst 1Bman in baseball. Although I don't think he's a gold glover at 1B, he's not a liability either.

I would prefer the O's go a different direction at 1B for two reasons.

1.) We need more power at 1B. When the best thing about your 1Bman is that he can draw a walk, your in trouble.

2.) I thought it was completely unprofessional what he did during the World Series.

If we can get anything of value for Millar we shouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Archived