Kevin Millar - Worst 1st Baseman in Baseball???

MPK76

I think the 200 posts I have about wanting to trade Millar should speak for my opinion on that lol……

No, I do not want him here… Do not believe he has any place on a rebuilding team… No, do not believe he should reguarly start on any team - let alone a contender…

However, Millar is a decent part… better than advertisted.. Manageable contract… described as good in the clubhouse….. Think he makes perfect sense for a contender.

His contract had esclators in it that took it to 3.8 million for this season. I can think of better things to do with that money than pay it to a guy to watch him decline and not drive in runs. But you are right, somebody else would take him for that most likely...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.) I thought it was completely unprofessional what he did during the World Series.

Didn't he get permission from the O's FO? I would think that if he did then it isn't unprofessional.

I seriously doubt any of you would even care if we actually competed for division titles and beat up on the Red Sox.

I agree, there is no problem with Millar at 1B. He and Huff can share the duties there. I just cringe when I hear he'll be batting clean-up.

Well then, in case you missed it, this should make you feel a whole lot better. ;)

Projected batting order

1. 2B Brian Roberts:

.290 BA, .377 OBP, .432 SLG, 12 HR, 57 RBI in 2007

2. 1B Kevin Millar:

.254 BA, .365 OBP, .420 SLG, 17 HR, 63 RBI in 2007

3. RF Nick Markakis:

.300 BA, .362 OBP, .485 SLG, 23 HR, 112 RBI in 2007

4. DH Aubrey Huff:

.280 BA, .337 OBP, .442 SLG, 15 HR, 72 RBI in 2007

5. LF Luke Scott:

.255 BA, .351 OBP, .504 SLG, 18 HR, 64 RBI in 2007

6. C Ramon Hernandez:

.258 BA, .333 OBP, .382 SLG, 9 HR, 62 RBI in 2007

7. 3B Melvin Mora:

.274 BA, .341 OBP, .418 SLG, 14 HR, 58 RBI in 2007

8. CF Tike Redman:

.318 BA, .341 OBP, .462 SLG, 2 HR, 16 RBI in 2007

9. SS Luis Hernandez:

.290 BA, .300 OBP, .362 SLG, 1 HR, 7 RBI in 2007

Link

ZIPS projects Millar to put up a .258/.354/.384 (.738 OPS) offensive line this season vs. the AL Avg 1B's .284/.361/.479 (.840) mark.

I think anybody looking at things rationally would have to agree he's likely to provide below average production. If we really are considering Luis Hernandez at SS, for example, I don't think the O's can afford 100 points below league average OPS at a "power" position.

As for all this "But he's a true leader stuff". What is that exactly? Millar's image has been enhanced IMO by his extraordinary media-friendly persona as he lays the groundwork for his post-baseball career.

I have no firsthand knowledge of his relationships with his teammates, but generally speaking, guys who are banned from membership in the players union because they crossed the picket line to be replacement players during spring training 1995 aren't embraced wholeheartedly.

I don't dislike Millar at all, though I think his ALCS stunt proved it was time for him to move on. I'm sure I'd enjoy sitting down and having a beer with him, but if the O's can get any type of warm body in exchange for moving off their 2008 roster, I think they're making a mistake if they don't do it.

Didn't he get permission from the O's FO? I would think that if he did then it isn't unprofessional.

I seriously doubt any of you would even care if we actually competed for division titles and beat up on the Red Sox.

Permission or not, he should have known better. You don't do something like that while your under contract with another team, let alone the division rival. If management gave him permission, then they should have known better as well.

Either way, I wasn't a Millar fan before the whole Promo thing, based on his actual play. The whole Red Sox incident just made me dislike him on a personal level as well. Just my opinion.

All I can think of when I think of Kevin Millar is "Cowboy Up". I hate that Cowboy up" stuff so will never be enamored with Millar. I would rather we have someone else at 1B but that is not going to happen any time soon. If the AGonzo trade was actually on the table, did we ever miss one there.

All I can think of when I think of Kevin Millar is "Cowboy Up".

His language-thing that bothers me (but not a lot) is that he seems to be the source of redefining what the word "scuffling" means. This also dates from the big important year in BOS. AFAIK, it always used to mean fighting. Millar said "scuffling" when, given the context, I think he meant to say "struggling". Within a year, it became normal in baseball circles to say "scuffling" when you mean "struggling".

ZIPS projects Millar to put up a .258/.354/.384 (.738 OPS) offensive line this season vs. the AL Avg 1B's .284/.361/.479 (.840) mark.

I think anybody looking at things rationally would have to agree he's likely to provide below average production. If we really are considering Luis Hernandez at SS, for example, I don't think the O's can afford 100 points below league average OPS at a "power" position.

As for all this "But he's a true leader stuff". What is that exactly? Millar's image has been enhanced IMO by his extraordinary media-friendly persona as he lays the groundwork for his post-baseball career.

I have no firsthand knowledge of his relationships with his teammates, but generally speaking, guys who are banned from membership in the player's union because they crossed the picket line to be replacement players during spring training 1995 aren't embraced wholeheartedly.

I don't dislike Millar at all, though I think his ALCS stunt proved it was time for him to move on. I'm sure I'd enjoy sitting down and having a beer with him, but if the O's can get any type of warm body in exchange for moving off their 2008 roster, I think they're making a mistake if they don't do it.

I have no problem saying Millar is significantly below average. But when Perry calls him the worst in MLB, you have to look at some of the other candidates. Besides the four I mentioned (all .746 or below last year), there are 3 teams that didn't even have a 1B with 400 PA's last year.

Take into account his second half:

.234 AVG .338 OBP .402 SLG .740 OPS

You want that batting behind Nick Markakis? He's 36, so those numbers are likely to drop not improve. Why not see what Scott Moore can do at 1st if we can't deal Mora?

You're going to find it hard to find anyone who supports batting Millar cleanup. That said, he's not a waste of space either.

I'd still prefer to trade him if we can get a good prospect though. If just to clear up some of that 1B/LF/DH logjam.

not a liability with the glove....was .999 at first base, and 1.000 in Left field.

Why are you looking at only a tiny fraction of his fielding performance? You've completely ignored range, arm strength, reactions, first-step quickness, etc. Ken Singleton was about as fast as Ramon Hernandez and he fielded 1.000 one year. You can't make an error on a ball you never got anywhere near.

Look at something like UZR. Over the 2003-07 period Millar wasn't one of the 50 best-fielding 1B in the majors (75+ games played).

He's a decent enough role player, but as a regular 1B hitting in the middle of the order at the age of 36 he's going to have trouble being even halfway decent. And it wouldn't surprise me if he was among the worst regular 1B in the majors.

Archived