Davis and Adderall - He was targeted and for good reason

Pat Kelly

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who says he was targeted on the first test? Some psychologist's speculation?

He couldn't have possibly been targeted.

That doesn't happen. Two or more people couldn't have gotten together to arrange a test to catch Davis abusing Adderall. Because that would be too close to a conspiracy.

con-spir-a-cy

kənˈspirəsē/

noun

a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.

"a conspiracy to destroy the government"

synonyms: plot, scheme, plan, machination, ploy, trick, ruse, subterfuge; informalracket

"a conspiracy to manipulate the results"

the action of plotting or conspiring.

"they were cleared of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice"

synonyms: plotting, collusion, intrigue, connivance, machination, collaboration; treason

"conspiracy to commit murder"

MSK

So if you are OK with something as potentially dangerous as Aderrall then Steroids and HGH should be allowed as well right?

Adderall is probably more dangerous than steroids and HGH. All drugs are potentially dangerous if used improperly. I imagine most players using these things are knowledgeable as to correct dosage. If the testing is merely cosmetic and can't come close to keeping a level playing field, then let everybody be free to use the stuff at their own risk.

Who says he was targeted on the first test? Some psychologist's speculation?

In fact, there is no evidence to support that Davis was test any differently than any other player before he got caught the first time. As for the 2nd time, it pretty clearly states that failed 1st test leads to 6 more random tests. Sounds the same for everyone. Still, the question is this. If he was denied the drug before or during the 2012 season, how did it's use or non use affect his 2013 season and 2014 seasons? If he was using both seasons, he had very different results.

Right, that was why I said, I suppose it may "raise an issue of possible targeting". Unlike the conspiracy thread it's an actual hypothesis I guess. That a guy with a denied TUE and coming off a great year might be subject to some closer scrutiny. Do I believe that MLB would be dumb enough to do that? No, not really. My question would be around the first test (which I assume was this year) and not really anything about the second one (which as as you said would generate automatic scrutiny).

I do know that MLB had pretty loose procedures on steroid testing that the Braun case exposed (an no I didn't side with Braun). Just saying they had very loose procedures in place as compared to what I recall from the military.

We are over medicating as a society. Why? Because it makes a lot of rich people richer. Every time a kid gets out of hand, the answer seems to be to medicate that kid. Absolutely pitiful. I would urge all parents to fight against that tendency. I'm not denying that depression, bi-polar and other disorders exist and need to be treated. But, I am convinced that drugs are over prescribed and the long term use of those drugs is very damaging to us as a society and the individuals that take them unnecessarily.

We are over medicating as a society. Why? Because it makes a lot of rich people richer. Every time a kid gets out of hand, the answer seems to be to medicate that kid. Absolutely pitiful. I would urge all parents to fight against that tendency. I'm not denying that depression, bi-polar and other disorders exist and need to be treated. But, I am convinced that drugs are over prescribed and the long term use of those drugs is very damaging to us as a society and the individuals that take them unnecessarily.

I agree.

Getting walloped with a paddle in elementary school helped alleviate mine I suppose. I still remember my 4th grade teacher Mrs. Brown. Must have weighed 300 lbs had had a huge paddle with holes in it hanging on the wall with the title "The Brown Bomber". Said the holes were especially designed to cut down on resistance. Went a home a few days with a swiss cheese looking ass.

And this! ^^^^^^^^^

Getting walloped with a paddle in elementary school helped alleviate mine I suppose. I still remember my 4th grade teacher Mrs. Brown. Must have weighed 300 lbs had had a huge paddle with holes in it hanging on the wall with the title "The Brown Bomber". Said the holes were especially designed to cut down on resistance. Went a home a few days with a swiss cheese looking ass.

Catholic Schooling in the 70's did the same thing for me. Nothing like a bunch of 70 year old Nun's just chomping at the bit to paddle your ass, or bloody your knuckles with rulers. I will say, I learned respect in those formative years, lol.

Back to Adderall and Chris Davis: I have a question or two. Can Adderall, like many amphetamines, be possibly addicting? I have a feeling that there are a certain number of meth-heads in baseball, using Adderall, with the excuse that "it helps my alertness, concentration, my focus" or whatever. I was chatting with a few fans about Chris Davis's suspension, while riding home on the light rail: we concluded that whatever Chris was using wasn't helping him at all. His average has been below the Mendoza line all season.His production has fallen off. So why continue using Adderall if it's not working? Unless the user perhaps needs his next fix? I don't know if Davis is addicted to speed (Adderall), but it's possible. If so, then he needs help.

One important point from the article that seems to have been lost in this discussion is that, despite the new barriers to getting the thereapeutic use exemption, it is still the case that almost 10 percent of major leagues have a TUE that allows them to use adderal.

Chris Davis either tried to get one and failed, or decided it was too much trouble and tried to get away without one. But apparently it's not too hard to get one, even though you need more doctors to sign off on it.

Archived