J.J. Hardy would like to stay, but 'everything changes' in free agency

wildcard

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be a shame if the Orioles let him walk away. I have zero doubt that they'd get a nice discount. Same goes for Nick.

This is going to be his last big contract of his career. I see no reason for him to give them a hometown discount since he'll never see as much money again in his life.

This is going to be his last big contract of his career. I see no reason for him to give them a hometown discount since he'll never see as much money again in his life.

There is value in stability.

There is value in comfort.

They say there is value in winning.

I could see it happening, he signed a below market deal last time and had only been with the team a few months.

Money isn't everything to everyone. Hardy is going to be very comfortable for the rest of his life either way. He already demonstrated that money is not his only priority when he signed his last extension.

Money isn't everything to everyone. Hardy is going to be very comfortable for the rest of his life either way. He already demonstrated that money is not his only priority when he signed his last extension.

Late last night, and dont remember if it was 105.7 or ESPN. But, they were talking about Hardy and said he was a decent SS, but with his age and back issues this season, they didn't think there would be high interest and big money contract on the table for him.

Late last night, and dont remember if it was 105.7 or ESPN. But, they were talking about Hardy and said he was a decent SS, but with his age and back issues this season, they didn't think there would be high interest and big money contract on the table for him.

And during the game Palmer and Thorne agreed that the Yankees are very interested in Hardy.

With the gaping hole and unlimited resources the Yankees have, they'll be more than willing to sign Hardy up for an expensive long-term deal.

With the gaping hole and unlimited resources the Yankees have, they'll be more than willing to sign Hardy up for an expensive long-term deal.

Earlier on 105.7, another pair was talking about the Yankees and Hardy and said, there was 3 or 4 names on their list, like Cabrerer on the Nationals. They would target those names first.

He was young then. Now he can see that the end is near. Time to stock up on Benjamins.

He was young then. Now he can see that the end is near. Time to stock up on Benjamins.

Not everyone thinks that way. The guy has already made $40 mm playing baseball. If the O's offer him something that is within $2 mm/yr or so of FA market value, that might entice him to stay with a team, manager and city that he is comfortable with. The fact that the O's have been a playoff team in two of the last three years helps enormously. Players do like winning.

Not everyone thinks that way. The guy has already made $40 mm playing baseball. If the O's offer him something that is within $2 mm/yr or so of FA market value, that might entice him to stay with a team, manager and city that he is comfortable with. The fact that the O's have been a playoff team in two of the last three years helps enormously. Players do like winning.

I don't think it will be the dollars that get Hardy to leave. It will be the years. O's probably just will not go for as long a contract as the Yankees.

As far as the playoffs go. Everyone knows the Yankees don't rebuilt. They reload. They will be contenders next. Same with Boston.

I don't think there's a right or wrong about thinking that way. I still think the fact that he would be a 10 & 5 guy after another season with the O's is a big barrier for the team to overcome. I just don't see them paying someone a lot of money and not being able to trade him.

I don't think there's a right or wrong about thinking that way. I still think the fact that he would be a 10 & 5 guy after another season with the O's is a big barrier for the team to overcome. I just don't see them paying someone a lot of money and not being able to trade him.

How would he be a 10 and 5 guy? This is only his 5th season in the AL.

Archived