Leaving out Kevin Gausman from the PO rotation not smart

Oriolesallday

I don't care if you say he has no play off experience. There is a first time for everything.

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2014/09/leaving-kevin-gausman-out-of-playoff.html?m=1

Read this though.

Thoughts?

First of all, "no playoff experience" is only a small factor. Neither Tillman nor Norris has ever pitched in the playoffs. Chen and Gonzalez have each pitched one game in the playoffs, and in each case, they did well even though it was the first time they had ever pitched in the playoffs.

That said, I'd go with the four guys who have been in the rotation all year. While I don't see "no playoff experience" as a minus, I do see the fact that Chen and Gonzo both pitched well in their one opportunity in 2012 as a plus for them. And they have been mostly lights out down the stretch. To me, Norris is the only guy I'd consider dropping in favor of Gausman. Frankly, it is all hair-splitting, though I like what Gausman did out of the bullpen towards the end of last season better than what Norris did as a reliever last year.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do know that service time manipulation had a lot to do with why Gausman was in the minors right?

This is true, but he was ineffective down there for periods. I am with Dan-O on this one. Gausman belongs in the pen unless a matchup dictates strongly to the contrary.

It comes down to who gives you the best chance of winning - not who's earned what. All things being equal, Gausman is the most wet behind the ears - and shows it more than the others. He also is probably the best of the starters at being an effective weapon out of the bullpen. Ultimately, I think it comes down to matchups. If Buck thinks Gausman is the best matchup in a particular game, he'll start him.

It comes down to who gives you the best chance of winning - not who's earned what. All things being equal, Gausman is the most wet behind the ears - and shows it more than the others. He also is probably the best of the starters at being an effective weapon out of the bullpen. Ultimately, I think it comes down to matchups. If Buck thinks Gausman is the best matchup in a particular game, he'll start him.

How?

Can you give some examples?

I haven't seen it.

I think it is a really close decision, and I am happy I am not the one that has to make it. I like both of them, and I think there is a solid argument for each to be in the playoff rotation. I do think that Gausman could be a heck of a weapon out of the pen, but you don't make this decision based on who would be better out of the pen. At least I think you don't. ;)

I am just freaking thrilled that we are able to have these discussions where we have five very good starters (and a sixth that has looked pretty good recently) that we need to need to choose four from. That is a weird situation to be in after our not so distant past.

How?

Can you give some examples?

I haven't seen it.

There have been a few games where he's started out dominantly and then lost his command - more frequently than the other 4 in the second half of the season - which is to be expected from a young relatively inexperienced pitcher. That's my impression - I don't have stats to back it up and have no inclination or time to look it up.

There have been a few games where he's started out dominantly and then lost his command - more frequently than the other 4 in the second half of the season - which is to be expected from a young relatively inexperienced pitcher. That's my impression - I don't have stats to back it up and have no inclination or time to look it up.

He's lost his command but I don't think he has ever looked lost or overwhelmed out there.

Which is more of what I think of when folks are talking about a rookie pitcher.

Yea, that tons worse then MiGo's 1.30.

He also has a much better hr/9.

He has the best FIP of the whole lot.

Oh, you....quoting those mundane peripherals again. What does that matter? I mean compared to veteranosity?

I believe Buck wants to win, too, but if he ignores the stats posted above and the fact that Norris was pounded by Detroit both times he saw them (assuming we play them) then the conclusion seems to point in a curious direction.

Oh, you....quoting those mundane peripherals again. What does that matter? I mean compared to veteranosity?

I believe Buck wants to win, too, but if he ignores the stats posted above and the fact that Norris was pounded by Detroit both times he saw them (assuming we play them) then the conclusion seems to point in a curious direction.

I find it very alarming that Norris is 0-3 vs the tigers and Gonzalez has given up 3 homeruns to one person

Archived