The O's have the better pitching

wildcard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Enough to win the ALDS 3 years in a row. The rotation is built for short series.

You mention post season experience (Which the O's do have {2012}) then I respond to that and you jump over to the starting rotation. Why did you stop talking about post season experience?

Feel free to show any evidence that you can find to support your idea that prior post season experience has any tangible effect on post season performance.

If you need some help might I suggest pulling up the individual post season performances of players and comparing those performances in their first post season to subsequent years. Mind you the sample size is going to be so laughably small that the odds of coming up with information that is useful is miniscule but I am interested in seeing the numbers.

My guess is, there is no correlation at all.

How did post season experience work out for the Tigers last season?

Maybe it's only their playoff experience and grit and moxie and #want and #rig that let them get by the A's and push the Red Sox to six games. A team with lesser intangibles might have just curled into the fetal position at the sight of the game 1 crowd.

Like in the Bad News Bears Breaking Training. The first two innings, with no playoff experience under their belts, they fell behind the Texas Toros at the Astrodome. But after William Devane's impassioned plea to let them play, and the experience of two innings of battle-hardened playoff toughness, they ultimately prevailed.

You mention post season experience (Which the O's do have {2012}) then I respond to that and you jump over to the starting rotation. Why did you stop talking about post season experience?

Feel free to show any evidence that you can find to support your idea that prior post season experience has any tangible effect on post season performance.

If you need some help might I suggest pulling up the individual post season performances of players and comparing those performances in their first post season to subsequent years. Mind you the sample size is going to be so laughably small that the odds of coming up with information that is useful is miniscule but I am interested in seeing the numbers.

My guess is, there is no correlation at all.

You would need to be careful to control for team quality, since it is quite easy to confuse the benefits of playoff experience with the benefits of a $225M payroll.

You would need to be careful to control for team quality, since it is quite easy to confuse the benefits of playoff experience with the benefits of a $225M payroll.

That was why I suggested he look at individual players not the teams as a whole. If his theory is correct then OPS of hitters should trend upwards with each additional series and pitcher OPS against should decline.

Jeter must have been a real beast in 2012 considering it was his 16th trip to the playoffs. I haven't looked it up but he must have OPS'd over 1K with that much post season experience under his belt.

Maybe it's only their playoff experience and grit and moxie and #want and #rig that let them get by the A's and push the Red Sox to six games. A team with lesser intangibles might have just curled into the fetal position at the sight of the game 1 crowd.

Like in the Bad News Bears Breaking Training. The first two innings, with no playoff experience under their belts, they fell behind the Texas Toros at the Astrodome. But after William Devane's impassioned plea to let them play, and the experience of two innings of battle-hardened playoff toughness, they ultimately prevailed.

Haha but that only works in the movies, right? :scratchchinhmm: (slams head against desk with the remembrance of Derek's last home game). :cussing:

That was why I suggested he look at individual players not the teams as a whole. If his theory is correct then OPS of hitters should trend upwards with each additional series and pitcher OPS against should decline.

Jeter must have been a real beast in 2012 considering it was his 16th trip to the playoffs. I haven't looked it up but he must have OPS'd over 1K with that much post season experience under his belt.

The question is, does experiential playoff magic increase at a rate equal/greater/less than the rate of performance change due to age? Depending on the coefficients you might do well to pull all the remaining 1950s Yankees out of old folks homes and sign them to contracts.

The question is, does experential playoff magic increase at a rate equal/greater/less than the rate of performance change due to age? Depending on the coefficients you might do well to pull all the remaining 1950s Yankees out of old folks homes and sign them to contracts.

You could, but you won't get through the regular season with them.

No one retires because they can't hack it in the post season.

Don't forget the most important intangible. The will to win.

Archived