Orioles working on Markakis extension as well

xian4

Peter getting his checkbook out!!!!!

Is this rare to be talking about contracts in the middle of the playoffs? I don't remember any big names signing contracts in the middle of a run but maybe it's just because the O's haven't had been in this situation.

PA is making a lot of $ off of his team and that amount grows with each playoff game and series won. The Hardy signing and the possible Cruz signing could well be the kiss off the roster for Davis or Wieters or both and next year's payroll might not be appreciably higher - particularly if DD can shed Ubaldo if he wanted to. MLB revenue and revenue sharing trends and the most recent agreement will funnel several $M more to the Os starting in 2016.

Not saying I would extend Hardy and Cruz, but I do like the order in which our GM is signing these guys. Nick will be the last one and, with everyone else re-signed, it will be up to Nick to stay and take a (presumably) team friendly deal. If not, we have Pearce and De Aza as capable options.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boy, I just don't get it?

The same message board that is in almost unanimous agreement about the wisdom of signing JJ Hardy a 32 yo middle infielder coming off a substantial decline in power

has no interest in Nick Markakis

yet

1. Markakis is one year younger at a position that has much greater longevity

2. Has been healthy almost his entire career except the broken hand in 2012

3. Has had a 105+ or better OPS+ in every year except 2013

4. Ranks among the O's leaders in OBP and pitches seen, is a very tough to strike out.

5. And some of these same folks still tout Nick as a GG right fielder.

I think that Nick can be replaced, but I think he is a safer bet for a reasonable contract say 4/25 than the deal that JJ just got.

4/25? He's not a relief pitcher. He's a 2-win position player. He's getting 10M a year, unless he's willing to sign at a significant discount.

And the main difference between Hardy and Markakis is that Hardy is a shortstop with significant defensive value.

I don't think he's a starter on a contending team, despite his recent successes. Quickly diminishing skills.

This is a pretty lame excuse. He would be the 2nd or 3rd OF behind Jones, Markakis/Cruz. I am sure there are a few contenders that would be happy with DeAza as their third best OF.

Boy, I just don't get it?

The same message board that is in almost unanimous agreement about the wisdom of signing JJ Hardy a 32 yo middle infielder coming off a substantial decline in power

has no interest in Nick Markakis

yet

1. Markakis is one year younger at a position that has much greater longevity

2. Has been healthy almost his entire career except the broken hand in 2012

3. Has had a 105+ or better OPS+ in every year except 2013

4. Ranks among the O's leaders in OBP and pitches seen, is a very tough to strike out.

5. And some of these same folks still tout Nick as a GG right fielder.

I think that Nick can be replaced, but I think he is a safer bet for a reasonable contract say 4/25 than the deal that JJ just got.

Glad to have proof that you don't exist in the same reality as the rest of us.

2/20 is absolute max I would go for Markakis. I think it makes more sense to let him walk and retain De Aza, with Pearce and Lough platooning in right.

Nick would never work that cheap. That is not much more than McLouth money.

Nick would never work that cheap. That is not much more than McLouth money.

Then the Orioles should let him walk. As I mentioned, a Lough/Pearce platoon would be cheaper and likely more productive. If the Orioles want to remain competitive, they can't afford to be sentimental.

Then the Orioles should let him walk. As I mentioned, a Lough/Pearce platoon would be cheaper and likely more productive. If the Orioles want to remain competitive, they can't afford to be sentimental.

that's fine, But Nick won't sign for a fair number, he will sign for less than 17 a year.

Archived