Any interest in a Koji reunion? (Boston 2/$18M)

Aglets

Need power arms in pen see KC.

You do realize that the Giants bullpen has allowed all of one run this series right?

Instead of looking at the radar gun you should be looking at Koji's K rate. The lowest it has been since transitioning to the bullpen is 10.8.

If Boston presents a QO I figure Koji takes it since he is unlikely to get a three year deal at his age and he seems to like Boston.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do realize that the Giants bullpen has allowed all of one run this series right?

Instead of looking at the radar gun you should be looking at Koji's K rate. The lowest it has been since transitioning to the bullpen is 10.8.

If Boston presents a QO I figure Koji takes it since he is unlikely to get a three year deal at his age and he seems to like Boston.

I think Koji would be the first.

Agreed. Whoever wrote that is on drugs.

It was kinda amusing. It was basically:

"Yea, that would make Koji the highest paid reliever in baseball. But it's ok because the Red Sox are way under the luxury tax threshold for 2015 anyway and it's only for one year in case he's bad."

It was kinda amusing. It was basically:

"Yea, that would make Koji the highest paid reliever in baseball. But it's ok because the Red Sox are way under the luxury tax threshold for 2015 anyway and it's only for one year in case he's bad."

And yet, they admit, his velocity is down and because of his age, there are concerns about next season.

And yet, they admit, his velocity is down and because of his age, there are concerns about next season.

I'm not concerned with Koji's age, per se. But at the end of the year both his fastball and his forkball lost their late life. He went through a three week stretch where he allowed runs in five of six outings. Then the Sox sat him for a week and he did pick it up in his final three outings of the year, which spanned 14 days to close the season. It just makes me nervous whether he's got something more than arm fatigue.

I'm not concerned with Koji's age, per se. But at the end of the year both his fastball and his forkball lost their late life. He went through a three week stretch where he allowed runs in five of six outings. Then the Sox sat him for a week and he did pick it up in his final three outings of the year, which spanned 14 days to close the season. It just makes me nervous whether he's got something more than arm fatigue.

It would seem to me, the concerns would impact the FA market value of his next contract.

11 Million is a big dollar amount for a reliever/closer.

Offer Koji a minor league deal that includes a $4 million major league contract if he makes the team. Include bonuses based on number of games he finishes, just in case he ends up being the closer. Too much risk involved to guarantee him anything. That might not be enough to entice him to return, but that's all I'd offer.

Offer Koji a minor league deal that includes a $4 million major league contract if he makes the team. Include bonuses based on number of games he finishes, just in case he ends up being the closer. Too much risk involved to guarantee him anything. That might not be enough to entice him to return, but that's all I'd offer.

Might as well not make him an offer at all then.

Exactly this.

Archived