Any interest in a Koji reunion? (Boston 2/$18M)

Aglets

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe this. I like Koji, but a 2-year deal? Really? What in the world...

When you're one of the best closers in baseball for multiple years, you can get a nice contract. I'm surprised so many people here didn't think he was worth anything close to the amount he got.

When you're one of the best closers in baseball for multiple years, you can get a nice contract. I'm surprised so many people here didn't think he was worth anything close to the amount he got.

He had 26 saves last season....not one of the best closers last year. If he got a contract like this after 2013 then it's more understandable

After watching what happened to Oakland and Tampa Bay last year regarding Johnson and Balfour, it is a bit surprising to me to see this kind of contract. I prefer the approach DD has taken thus far in building the bullpen. Big money on relievers just doesn't seem to me to be a high percentage play.

He had 26 saves last season....not one of the best closers last year. If he got a contract like this after 2013 then it's more understandable

Saves are approximately the 61st most useful stat in rating a closer. Right above the pitching win.

The most important stats revolve around getting outs as efficiently as possible. With a K rate of 11 K's per 9 IP, plus the 2nd best SO:BB ratio in all of MLB (min 20 innings).........that's really really good stuff. WHIP under 1 just adds to his resume.

After watching what happened to Oakland and Tampa Bay last year regarding Johnson and Balfour, it is a bit surprising to me to see this kind of contract. I prefer the approach DD has taken thus far in building the bullpen. Big money on relievers just doesn't seem to me to be a high percentage play.

Now this is a strategy I can get behind 100%. While I think Koji has a great chance of being worth this latest contract, it is definitely smarter to go cheaper and find guys like Britton or whoever else who can get outs in the bullpen and save that money for elsewhere.

The AAV didn't surprise me him getting a second year guaranteed did.

It's a bit of a stretch I guess. I bet they tried a 1 year deal, and Koji held out for two. They didn't want him to go to FA so they added year two. I mean, this is the Red Sox. Even if year two is a total bust, $9M is pretty meaningless to them.

It's a bit of a stretch I guess. I bet they tried a 1 year deal, and Koji held out for two. They didn't want him to go to FA so they added year two. I mean, this is the Red Sox. Even if year two is a total bust, $9M is pretty meaningless to them.

I guess, but they're still handing out 5% of their payroll for less than 5% of their innings pitched. And innings pitched are maybe 30% of the overall team value.

I guess, but they're still handing out 5% of their payroll for less than 5% of their innings pitched. And innings pitched are maybe 30% of the overall team value.

If you are a true disciple of WAR you cannot argue that Koji has not been worth (and in fact, far exceeded) that value over the past two years.

Even with him averaging 70 innings / yr.

It's not the size of the innings pitched, it's how you use them?

Archived