Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pearce, De Aza and Lough are all on the roster.
De Aza had a .663 with 439 PAs with the White Sox and .877 with 89 PAs with the O's.

Lough had a .694 OPS in 197 PAs.

Pearce had a .930 OPS with 383 PAs.

Markakis has a .729 OPS with 710 PAs.

Markakis shows better numbers in the OPS department than Lough. If we resign Cruz, he would mostly be a DH and thus we would need De Aza in LF. As for Pearce, I'm one of these strange people who would rather see Pearce play regularly at 1B than Chris Davis. For the record, Chris Davis' numbers last year were .704 OPS with 520 PAs. As I said, I'd rather see Pearce start out regularly at 1B next year. S in sum, we do need Markakis at RF.

Okay, so I'm a charter member of the Hate Chris Davis Society. :angryfire::D

Seriously, I do want to see Chris succeed next year. But right now, I see him as basically a reclamation project. Hopefully, he can get off the Aderall and up his numbers to what they were in 2013. I'd love to see him become the 2015 Orioles' Comeback Player of the Year. :clap3:

Okay, so I'm a charter member of the Hate Chris Davis Society. :angryfire::D

Seriously, I do want to see Chris succeed next year. But right now, I see him as basically a reclamation project. Hopefully, he can get off the Aderall and up his numbers to what they were in 2013. I'd love to see him become the 2015 Orioles' Comeback Player of the Year. :clap3:

How is Davis a reclamation project?? Yes he had a down year but who knows if he was trying to play through injuries or whatever. Also, he has a great glove at 1B. He still hit 26 HR's and 72 RBI's.

As far as the adderall... it has nothing to do with his 2013 numbers.

How is Davis a reclamation project?? Yes he had a down year but who knows if he was trying to play through injuries or whatever. Also, he has a great glove at 1B. He still hit 26 HR's and 72 RBI's.

As far as the adderall... it has nothing to do with his 2013 numbers.

I think that this subject has been beaten quite a bit.

:deadhorse:

But I'll just say that a player who has a down year is a sort of reclamation project in that they have to do some work on whatever factors made them have a down year. We may have different definitions of "reclamation." Whatever. But Chris does have to work on what brought his BA down below the Mendoza line and what brought his OPS down.

De Aza had a .663 with 439 PAs with the White Sox and .877 with 89 PAs with the O's.

Lough had a .694 OPS in 197 PAs.

Pearce had a .930 OPS with 383 PAs.

Markakis has a .729 OPS with 710 PAs.

Markakis shows better numbers in the OPS department than Lough. If we resign Cruz, he would mostly be a DH and thus we would need De Aza in LF. As for Pearce, I'm one of these strange people who would rather see Pearce play regularly at 1B than Chris Davis. For the record, Chris Davis' numbers last year were .704 OPS with 520 PAs. As I said, I'd rather see Pearce start out regularly at 1B next year. S in sum, we do need Markakis at RF.

So Lough's OPS is a whopping 35 points lower and just like that you dismiss him? Despite the clearly superior baserunning and defense?

Wee bit shortsighted maybe?

I think that this subject has been beaten quite a bit.

:deadhorse:

But I'll just say that a player who has a down year is a sort of reclamation project in that they have to do some work on whatever factors made them have a down year. We may have different definitions of "reclamation." Whatever. But Chris does have to work on what brought his BA down below the Mendoza line and what brought his OPS down.

Johan Santana

Nick Johnson

Delmon Young

Jemile Weeks

Brian Roberts_2.0

Nolan Reimold

Those guys are reclmation projects... a down year where he was injured does not make your next season a "project"

Johan Santana

Nick Johnson

Delmon Young

Jemile Weeks

Brian Roberts_2.0

Nolan Reimold

Those guys are reclamation projects... a down year where he was injured does not make your next season a "project"

Attributing Davis's lack of production last year to being "injured" is a stretch. I'd say he's a huge question mark.

So Lough's OPS is a whopping 35 points lower and just like that you dismiss him? Despite the clearly superior baserunning and defense?

Wee bit shortsighted maybe?

If I thought that Lough's performance as a full-time platoon RF (i.e., ~500 PA) was likely to be within 35 points of Nick Markakis, I could certainly see the case for Lough. There is no doubt he covers more ground in the OF and is a faster baserunner.

I'm still inclined to think that the more likely gap is 50+ points. I realize that the last two seasons have been to the contrary.

If I thought that Lough's performance as a full-time platoon RF (i.e., ~500 PA) was likely to be within 35 points of Nick Markakis, I could certainly see the case for Lough. There is no doubt he covers more ground in the OF and is a faster baserunner.

I'm still inclined to think that the more likely gap is 50+ points. I realize that the last two seasons have been to the contrary.

At least you put some thought into the process, instead of just finding the first possible reason to dismiss him as a candidate.

At least you put some thought into the process, instead of just finding the first possible reason to dismiss him as a candidate.

I don't dismiss him at all. I was perfectly prepared to see him get ~500 PA in LF last season. So was Buck, I think. He lost that opportunity when he got off to an ice cold start while Cruz, Pearce and Young were all red hot. But he rebounded well in his limited opportunities from June 1 forward, so he may get another shot at an expanded role, either in LF or RF if Nick is not back.

Steamer projects Markakis for a .716 OPS next season. Lough has a .717 OPS in his career vs RHPs.

I don't think he should be getting 500 PAs though. Going by those two numbers is oversimplifying. I'd rather have him spelling Pearce and De Aza once or twice a week, assuming that's the arrangement.

Archived