Britt Ghiroli: Buck Showalter

weams

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=36899655&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Is he manager of the year?

Has to be Buck or Scioscia.

I don't see how you give it to Yost. The narrative all year, from both Royals fans and the media, is that Yost is a poor game day manager whose decisions the Royals won despite of, not because of. Not sure how you then turn around and give him the award.

Scioscia did a pretty good job with a weak pitching staff that then got hurt. To be able to run away with the AL West was pretty impressive. However Scioscia's season is probably made more impressive because they underperformed the last few years. I'm not sure you should be able to fall below expectations a few years in row, and then just because you finally meet them, everybody say, "wow, great job, you finally did what you were suppose to do."

I'd give the award the Buck.

Has to be Buck or Scioscia.

I don't see how you give it to Yost. The narrative all year' date=' from both Royals fans and the media, is that Yost is a poor game day manager whose decisions the Royals won despite of, not because of. Not sure how you then turn around and give him the award.

Scioscia did a pretty good job with a weak pitching staff that then got hurt. To be able to run away with the AL West was pretty impressive. However Scioscia's season is probably made more impressive because they underperformed the last few years. I'm not sure you should be able to fall below expectations a few years in row, and then just because you finally meet them, everybody say, "wow, great job, you finally did what you were suppose to do."

I'd give the award the Buck.[/quote']

They vote for MOY before the postseason, so I doubt Yost will win. However, while he may not be a great game day manager, I think he used his roster well from a macro point of view. The discussion we had in one of the Markakis threads about how he had gotten 2.4 WAR out of Dyson in 290 PA is a good example. He found a good role for the guy and stuck with it. I am not as dismissive of Yost's abilities as some are.

They vote for MOY before the postseason, so I doubt Yost will win. However, while he may not be a great game day manager, I think he used his roster well from a macro point of view. The discussion we had in one of the Markakis threads about how he had gotten 2.4 WAR out of Dyson in 290 PA is a good example. He found a good role for the guy and stuck with it. I am not as dismissive of Yost's abilities as some are.

Well Buck managed through the loss of two gold glovers. His 50 HR first basemen having a horrible year and then getting suspended. The big FA pitcher flopping. Going with a new closer. And just winning the toughest division in baseball by a land slide.

Well Buck managed through the loss of two gold glovers. His 50 HR first basemen having a horrible year and then getting suspended. The big FA pitcher flopping. Going with a new closer. And just winning the toughest division in baseball by a land slide.

I'm not suggesting Yost should win manager of the year, just that he's not a bumbling idiot as some make him out to be.

I agree with Britt. Buck deserves to win. Unfortunately as Clint likes to tell us deserves got nothin' to do with it. I think the media will go elsewhere. They are jealous of him because not only is he a great manager, he is a better media guy than most of them..

I'm not suggesting Yost should win manager of the year, just that he's not a bumbling idiot as some make him out to be.

Bumbling idiot is a harsh term. But there were prominent Royals fansites who had lengthy pieces in September 2014 advocating Yost's firing. That would be like Tony penning a front page article here saying Buck needed to be fired, six weeks ago. Joe Posnanski has essentially said the same thing, many times. I'd have to conclude Yost is not a good manager when judged against his peers. The playoffs were a combination of good luck, good player performances, and the ability to drastically simplify (he basically just used the same subset of players every game that mattered).

And having said that I fully expect him to win the Manager of the Year.

I agree with Britt. Buck deserves to win. Unfortunately as Clint likes to tell us deserves got nothin' to do with it. I think the media will go elsewhere. They are jealous of him because not only is he a great manager, he is a better media guy than most of them..

For some reason I don't fully grasp there seems to be this undercurrent of something that makes people dislike Buck. It has to be from his former job(s), and I have no idea beyond just guessing about his micromanaging reputation... but I've heard or read several prominent writers strongly imply they just don't like him.

For some reason I don't fully grasp there seems to be this undercurrent of something that makes people dislike Buck. It has to be from his former job(s), and I have no idea beyond just guessing about his micromanaging reputation... but I've heard or read several prominent writers strongly imply they just don't like him.

I think Buck doesn't care much for some of the media market guys. He has his guys, that he knows and has been loyal to, and he doesn't feel the need to play the games to keep the others happy.

Just my opinion.

It's all about the Bass. No Treble.

And those little town blues.

Archived