Braves don't seem concerned about outfield defense.

Number5

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/braves-shopping-justin-upton-asking-price-higher-than-heyward.html

If the Phillies' assessment is right, and Tomas is a poor defensive outfielder, trading Justin Upton, going with Gattis in left and signing Tomas for right would leave Atlanta with an unusual outfield

It'll be very interesting to see what they can get for Justin Upton, but it wouldn't surprise me if they end up trading Gattis instead.

Speaking of the Braves, Kris Medlen might be non-tendered, because he'd likely get about 6 mil in arbitration and may not be available till mid-season. This is his second major injury, and he's in his late 20's. When healthy, he's been special, but he just hasn't stayed healthy. He's a big risk, and the O's failed with Santana last year, but that type of incentive-laden contract might be a good idea.

1. Oops, looks like Tomas is off the board.

2. I don't see how they could ask for a higher return for Upton than they got for Heyward. Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins are not chopped liver. I imagine the return would be about the same.

3. As bad as the offense was last year, it will be even worse without both Heyward and Upton. I mean bottom of the league bad. It looks like they're in rebuild mode.

1. Oops, looks like Tomas is off the board.

2. I don't see how they could ask for a higher return for Upton than they got for Heyward. Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins are not chopped liver. I imagine the return would be about the same.

3. As bad as the offense was last year, it will be even worse without both Heyward and Upton. I mean bottom of the league bad. It looks like they're in rebuild mode.

Number 1 being the reason they won't trade Upton. The basis for trading him would have been because they were hoping to sign Tomas. And Heyward's lack of offensive improvement is why they could afford to trade Hayward and expected more if they traded Upton. Upton had the 2nd most homers by a righty hitter in the NL. The #1 guy got a contract worth over $300 million.

Archived