Would you have matched SEA offer to keep Cruz an Oriole?

isestrex

Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?

• Yes, that's reasonable
    • No, let the Mariners have him.

This poll is closed to new votes

29 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

So how did you know Cruz was going to be more valuable from 34-37 than he was from 30-33? Tell me your secrets--I want to work for a MLB front office

I was right about Markakis and Davis as well.  Was wrong about Mancini this year as Frobby will tell you. 

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe Cruz just got better at taking PEDs. 

Nelson seems like a good guy and a good teammate. It's just hard not to think this way. He's one of the only position players in MLB producing at a near MVP level until age 40. I guess big papi was similar, but he also has had the PED trail. 

The unfortunate thing about steroids is, if someone is doing it clean as they age, it's hard to appreciate. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did he ever test positive?

It's not entirely clear if he tested positive or was otherwise implicated.  He was suspended 50 games for violating the joint drug policy.  But no, he hasn't tested positive since his one-time lapse in judgment.  I'm sure he learned his lesson and had an age 39 peak just based on hard work driven by a sense of honor and redemption.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, atomic said:

I was right about Markakis and Davis as well.  Was wrong about Mancini this year as Frobby will tell you. 

I think Markakis is kind of inconclusive.   He signed for 4/$44 mm and put up 6.6 rWAR, 5.8 fWAR.    That works at $8 mm/WAR but it’s just so-so production.   

Having said that, I wish we’d kept him, as he was my favorite player.

Overall, it’s amazing how poorly the O’s spending decisions in the 2014-15 and 2015-16 offseasons worked out.    They let Cruz, Markakis and Miller walk, and kept Hardy, Davis and O’Day.    What a disaster that all turned out to be!    In full disclosure, the only decision I was really against was Davis.     And that was mainly due to the length and amount of his deal.   If they’d signed him for 5/$90 mm I would have been OK with it, at the time.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Markakis is kind of inconclusive.   He signed for 4/$44 mm and put up 6.6 rWAR, 5.8 fWAR.    That works at $8 mm/WAR but it’s just so-so production.   

Having said that, I wish we’d kept him, as he was my favorite player.

Overall, it’s amazing how poorly the O’s spending decisions in the 2014-15 and 2015-16 offseasons worked out.    They let Cruz, Markakis and Miller walk, and kept Hardy, Davis and O’Day.    What a disaster that all turned out to be!    In full disclosure, the only decision I was really against was Davis.     And that was mainly due to the length and amount of his deal.   If they’d signed him for 5/$90 mm I would have been OK with it, at the time.    

He hit less than .200 and had a ton of strikeouts and was suspended for PEDs a year before his big contract.  I didn’t want him on the team at any price. 

Did want ODay and Hardy signed.

From age zero through 32 Cruz was worth 12 wins, which is the 523rd best mark of all time among 1B/RF/LF/DHs.  Just below Dmitri Young, Hal Morris and Dan Gladden.  Quite a few slots behind such luminaries as Aubrey Huff and Chris Davis.

From age 35-38 Cruz was worth 16 wins, which is 10th all time at those positions.  A few spots behind Roberto Clemente and just in front of Stan Musial and Paul Molitor.

I guess if you saw that coming, good on you.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

From age zero through 32 Cruz was worth 12 wins, which is the 523rd best mark of all time among 1B/RF/LF/DHs.  Just below Dmitri Young, Hal Morris and Dan Gladden.  Quite a few slots behind such luminaries as Aubrey Huff and Chris Davis.

From age 35-38 Cruz was worth 16 wins, which is 10th all time at those positions.  A few spots behind Roberto Clemente and just in front of Stan Musial and Paul Molitor.

I guess if you saw that coming, good on you.

I definitely thought he was too old to give a DH a 4 year deal, so I never saw this production coming. I cant imagine how he did it clean, but whatever, he bucked the odds, so good for him.