Would you have matched SEA offer to keep Cruz an Oriole?

isestrex

Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?

• Yes, that's reasonable
    • No, let the Mariners have him.

This poll is closed to new votes

I think 20% is a good estimate of the percentage of people who don't care what a player costs, Peter Angelos is a billionaire and should just pay whatever to keep/acquire good players.

That's pretty much where I am, since it ain't my money. I figure we'd get one, maybe two years of Cruz comparable to 2014. Since we're, in my mind at least, trying to Win It All in 2015, Cruz would be an integral piece. Win a WS in '15 or '16, and '17 and '18 become a wash, even if Cruz is hitting at a 2014 Chris Davis pace during those last two seasons.

I also appreciate that Duquette is a better GM than I'd be, and he'd like to compete for a WS for the next 5 or 6 years. I say win now, though! Again, not my $$$...

Honestly I just wonder how you replace the production.

Is he worth 4/57....no. Would he have been worth say 3/45 to this team? I think so. Looking at it from that perspective its a 10-12 million overpay. If you cant find a way to replace his production, I think your putting your ability to win the division and make a WS run in serious peril. If those things matter to you then why would anyone care if Pete valued them at 10-12 million spread out over 4 years? The idea that the Orioles minus Nelson Cruz are not any worse than they were last year is silly. We have taken a step back, the idea is to push forward. If we are trying to be the cutest most cost efficient team ever then I guess we just scored a coup, if we are trying to capitalize on a narrow window in which teams have to win championships, I think seeing this as anything but a negative is just finding a way to rationalize the decision.

I would have been okay with 3/45. I voted no in this poll. Having said that, if we wind up giving 4/40 to Markakis, I may have to revote in this poll.

If we would not give Nelson 4/57 but give Nick 4/40 then either someone other than DD is getting final say or DD needs to be immediately admitted to Sheppard Pratt.

Honestly I just wonder how you replace the production.

Is he worth 4/57....no. Would he have been worth say 3/45 to this team? I think so. Looking at it from that perspective its a 10-12 million overpay. If you cant find a way to replace his production, I think your putting your ability to win the division and make a WS run in serious peril. If those things matter to you then why would anyone care if Pete valued them at 10-12 million spread out over 4 years? The idea that the Orioles minus Nelson Cruz are not any worse than they were last year is silly. We have taken a step back, the idea is to push forward. If we are trying to be the cutest most cost efficient team ever then I guess we just scored a coup, if we are trying to capitalize on a narrow window in which teams have to win championships, I think seeing this as anything but a negative is just finding a way to rationalize the decision.

How did we replace Chris Davis' 2013 production. The Mariners will be looking to replace Nelson Cruz' 2014 production as well.

How did we replace Chris Davis' 2013 production. The Mariners will be looking to replace Nelson Cruz' 2014 production as well.

Huh?

We replaced CD's production by getting a monster year from Cruz. Frankly we got lucky, even DD was not counting on that.

If you want to believe that Cruz and his production were expendable and will be easily replaced that is cool, I just think that is looking at through Orange colored lenses. Maybe CD does bounce back, maybe not. Maybe MW picks up some of the slack, maybe not. Point is that if those things happen, we would still have been a lot better with Nelson Cruz on the team also.

When you subtract a guy who put up even 60% of the numbers he did last year then your team is taking a hit. I still hope DD has a rabbit in the hat, he may well have one but as it stands now, till the rabbit comes out this team is worse off for not having Nelson on it.

Huh?

We replaced CD's production by getting a monster year from Cruz. Frankly we got lucky, even DD was not counting on that.

If you want to believe that Cruz and his production were expendable and will be easily replaced that is cool, I just think that is looking at through Orange colored lenses. Maybe CD does bounce back, maybe not. Maybe MW picks up some of the slack, maybe not. Point is that if those things happen, we would still have been a lot better with Nelson Cruz on the team also.

When you subtract a guy who put up even 60% of the numbers he did last year then your team is taking a hit. I still hope DD has a rabbit in the hat, he may well have one but as it stands now, till the rabbit comes out this team is worse off for not having Nelson on it.

And Pearce.

Huh?

I believe that we would have had to replace it anyway. Just like we had to replace Davis' monster production. I don't believe it is real. Or at least, what you could count on.

It will be very difficult to get what Cruz gave us, last year.

I do not believe that Nelson Cruz will have a 5 WAR season for Seattle. That's the huh?

Edited by weams

I believe that we would have had to replace it anyway. Just like we had to replace Davis' monster production. I don't believe it is real. Or at least, what you could count on.

It will be very difficult to get what Cruz gave us, last year.

I do not believe that Nelson Cruz will have a 5 WAR season for Seattle. That's the huh?

Gotcha.

I doubt Nelson would have replicated last season but I also doubt he would have fallen off the map like CD did.

Even if he put up 60% (why I picked that number) and I think that is very reasonable to assume he would have here, that is a lot to replace.

• Upvote 1

Point is that if those things happen, we would still have been a lot better with Nelson Cruz on the team also.

I don't necessarily believe that Nelson can do that again. All he every wanted was this contract. He has it now. And he deserves it. He worked so hard for it and risked so much.

Gotcha.

I doubt Nelson would have replicated last season but I also doubt he would have fallen off the map like CD did.

Even if he put up 60% (why I picked that number) and I think that is very reasonable to assume he would have here, that is a lot to replace.

That is a lot to replace. I believe that giving him that contract would have hurt us more than remembering the great times will.

I live how WAR is the end all be all for ppl.

All WAR does is compare that player to his backup. If AJs WAR is 4 and Mike Trouts is 3 because theyre back up CF is better than the Os doesnt make AJ better of the two because of that fact.

Who exactly thinks WAR is the be all end all?

I love the hyperbole on the other side of the argument.