Dan's Mistakes

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We don't know the circumstances there well enough. It's possible nicks contract precluded the ability to give him a QO upon turning down his option. I feel like if it's that obvious a mistake that there were other circumstances we don't know about.

Then again this is conspiracy theory logic and can't be refuted.

This is a fair point - is it possible the Orioles COULD NOT have given a QO to Nick? If so, that would change my thinking about things...

I think the Ubaldo signing was a mistake. He had the green light to sign a big deal and he was trigger happy. Not an awful mistake though. I also think not trading Davis last off-season was a mistake. His value was through the roof.

Neither of those are terrible detrimental mistakes though and he's done a lot more good than bad.

At the end of the day, I am not a micromanager about trades, because the reality is that every season is unique and while one trade made or not made looks like it would have been a difference maker, the reality is that you can't separate them out singularly without other ripple effects. If we had traded Chris Davis with high value, who knows if that means Steve Pearce would have been forced into a full time role too soon and not done nearly as well. Or maybe if they hadn't signed Ubaldo, they would have signed Bronson Arroyo and his arm fell off, or AJ Burnett who also would have been awful. Unless it is a clear disaster or clear bonanza, like the Frank Robby, Glenn Davis, Bedard for Jones Tillman deals, then I think it is impossible to say whether this or that trade made a key difference. What I prefer to evaluate GMs on is DOES THE TEAM win???? In that regard, DD gets the highest of all grades. If the team wins, then I really don't care how they do it.

Do I trust DD? Yes, 100%.

My evidence: playoffs 2 of the 3 past seasons. Winning seasons the past 3 after a decade of losing. 96! wins last year and we were favorites to make the World Series after the first round.

It's hard to bring up all of his mistakes? Ubaldo seems like one. Not offer Nick a QO.The Arrieta trade. All of those could be mistakes or Ubaldo could turn it around, Nick can be terrible and Arrieta could return to his form with us.

Plus, and this is more important: what are the moves he didn't make? Could he have traded Hardy? Could he have traded Wieters? How would those moves have affected the past 3 years.

All he's done is exactly what he's said he was going to do from day 1: put a competitive team on the field that has a chance to win the division and go to the playoffs.

He's done that every year he's been here. I believe he will do it in 2015.

At the end of the day, I am not a micromanager about trades, because the reality is that every season is unique and while one trade made or not made looks like it would have been a difference maker, the reality is that you can't separate them out singularly without other ripple effects. If we had traded Chris Davis with high value, who knows if that means Steve Pearce would have been forced into a full time role too soon and not done nearly as well. Or maybe if they hadn't signed Ubaldo, they would have signed Bronson Arroyo and his arm fell off, or AJ Burnett who also would have been awful. Unless it is a clear disaster or clear bonanza, like the Frank Robby, Glenn Davis, Bedard for Jones Tillman deals, then I think it is impossible to say whether this or that trade made a key difference. What I prefer to evaluate GMs on is DOES THE TEAM win???? In that regard, DD gets the highest of all grades. If the team wins, then I really don't care how they do it.

Just Win.

I don't know that this was a mistake. It is a tough, close call on the value of the deal. The only situation I can recently compare it to was the Brob extension. I was happy to see his loyalty rewarded, but the injuries made that extension into an expensive mistake.

Ultimately it would have been nice to keep Markakis, but I think the health question is legit. Two years great, three years okay and four years is too much.

-Don

At this point it's difficult to say what his mistakes were because the O's haven't really made "big" acquisitions that you can look back and say' date=' "Wow, they really shouldn't have signed Josh Hamilton."

I wouldn't have signed Ubaldo.

I wouldn't have traded for Bud Norris.

I would have traded Jim Johnson after 2012, but having no idea what the trade market for him would have been, I can't say that is a mistake. It may have made sense to bring him back.

I would have traded Chris Davis after 2013. But same thing. Who knows what would have been offered.

I wouldn't have traded for Andrew Miller. But I'm not going to say that was a "mistake." I think it can be justified.[/quote']

That would have taken a huge, brass pair to trade Davis coming of the season he had. I don't get the Norris negativity on here. It's very possible that Norris pitches well enough to earn a QO. So that's 2.5 yrs of a legit #4 starter and a 1st rd pick for Hader, Hoes, and comp pick. Ubaldo is the only mistake DD has made, but he even if he is just a league average starter, it's not that much of an overpay.

That would have taken a huge, brass pair to trade Davis coming of the season he had. I don't get the Norris negativity on here. It's very possible that Norris pitches well enough to earn a QO. So that's 2.5 yrs of a legit #4 starter and a 1st rd pick for Hader, Hoes, and comp pick. Ubaldo is the only mistake DD has made, but he even if he is just a league average starter, it's not that much of an overpay.

I agree with every word of this post. Every.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duq said Cruz's production was worth making qualifying offer meaning he didn't feel same about Markakis.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">December 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived