Dan's Mistakes

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DD never had any intention of resigning Cruz or Miller and that's the smart thing.

I don't see how you can say it was the smart thing in such absolute terms. Cruz represents a rare commodity these days (power) and Miller is a lights out reliever. They're both great players. From the perspective of the deals they got, and how much they'd have cost us, of course you can argue it was wise to let them ago, but I don't think you can tag that as the "right" thing to do or not.

I don't see how you can say it was the smart thing in such absolute terms. Cruz represents a rare commodity these days (power) and Miller is a lights out reliever. They're both great players. From the perspective of the deals they got, and how much they'd have cost us, of course you can argue it was wise to let them ago, but I don't think you can tag that as the "right" thing to do or not.

I think it's almost always the right thing to let a soon-to-be 35-year-old DH walk, and it's almost always the right thing to avoid long and costly contracts for relief pitchers. It would have to be some pretty extraordinary circumstances to convince me to sign guys in those categories coming off something approximating career years in walk years. For a GM of a mid-market team that's kind of a litmus test. Something like those situations would be on my interview questions for a prospective GM. If your answer was anything but skepticism and strong caution I don't think the interview would go much further.

Would you say we'd be a better team the next two years if we'd matched those deals? But we'd be in worse financial shape, and we'd have our hands tied more, and this would be more painful in the back few years? Honestly, that's not a slam dunk decision in my opinion and I think I'd be inclined to keep the guys and have a team better equipped to contend next season. If it's a long-term vs. short-term decision, I don't think the long-term is always the right move.

Would you say we'd be a better team the next two years if we'd matched those deals? But we'd be in worse financial shape, and we'd have our hands tied more, and this would be more painful in the back few years? Honestly, that's not a slam dunk decision in my opinion and I think I'd be inclined to keep the guys and have a team better equipped to contend next season. If it's a long-term vs. short-term decision, I don't think the long-term is always the right move.

I'm not sure they'd be a better team. The previous two years Cruz was worth less than three wins total, and Miller pitched 71 innings total. I know we've only seen, day-to-day, the best out of Cruz and Miller, but they both had seasons that are difficult to expect objectively. It wouldn't terribly surprise me if Cruz was worth less in the rest of his career than he was in 2014.

Archived