Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

Frankly, while I would like to see a deal made, I'm not going to be too upset if nothing much happens tonight or tomorrow. In my observations, the WMs are more about getting conversations started. Not sure what the best analogy here is but to me I think it's about Duquette finding out who's interested in what and what they want for that. The actual deal itself will be made at a later time but the wheels that get it started start at the WM. I'm actually interested in seeing who Duquette chooses with the Rule 5 though. He seems to in contrast to MacPhail have interest in using Rule V guys to be a part of the team. Flaherty may not be a starter but he's an important role guy as is MacFarland. And they liked Alamanzar to trade back for him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Want to know why Dodgers coveted Andrew Friedman? Because he turns six good weeks of Dee Gordon & Dan Haren's name into 23 years of control.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

">December 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What a stud G.M

Frankly, while I would like to see a deal made, I'm not going to be too upset if nothing much happens tonight or tomorrow. In my observations, the WMs are more about getting conversations started. Not sure what the best analogy here is but to me I think it's about Duquette finding out who's interested in what and what they want for that. The actual deal itself will be made at a later time but the wheels that get it started start at the WM. I'm actually interested in seeing who Duquette chooses with the Rule 5 though. He seems to in contrast to MacPhail have interest in using Rule V guys to be a part of the team. Flaherty may not be a starter but he's an important role guy as is MacFarland. And they liked Alamanzar to trade back for him.

All I expected was for DD to take a lot of notes. I trust him. It's fun to kid about how the Orioles do business though. I do expect us to take a rule 5 player.

I just think that is a waste of 7.1m.

How can two legitimate Major League relievers making a total of $7.1M be a waste of $7.1M? You may think it is a waste of $6.1M. You would be wrong, but to say they are worth nothing means they aren't even Major Leaguers.

All I expected was for DD to take a lot of notes. I trust him. It's fun to kid about how the Orioles do business though. I do expect us to take a rule 5 player.

Yeah I was glad to see that they were heavily scouting the Rule 5 eligible guys. Could be guys that could be acquired later or as sometimes happens they find out something else. It's a marathon offseason not a sprint after all.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Industry expectation strong <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mets?src=hash">#Mets</a> will lose RHP Logan Verrett in tmrw?s Rule 5. Clubs see as back-end SP or stuff playing up as 7th-inn RP</p>? Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="
">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

Any way this guy falls to the O's tomorrow?

No, read on MLBtraderumors, won't fall to us.

Wow, DD's slow play until Feb may give some of us a heart attack. Lack of movement, quite disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 arb eligible guys. $30M sounds right.
Using the estimated arb numbers from baseballreference.com which was pretty close last year. Note De Aza 2014 is pro-rated for 1 month. With rounding the number is about $25M
PLAYER	YR	2014	2015De Aza	Arb-3	0.70	5.90Wieters	Arb-3	7.70	7.90Pearce	Arb-3	0.70	2.20Norris	Arb-3	5.30	8.70Hunter	Arb-3	3.00	4.40Davis	Arb-3	10.35	11.80Matusz	Arb-2	2.40	2.70Tillman	Arb-1	0.55	5.40Gonz.	Arb-1	0.53	3.70Flash	Arb-1	0.51	1.00Britton	Arb-1	0.52	3.20PLAYER	TOT	32.26	56.90

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Andrew Friedman: 9 trades in 25 days. So far. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dodgers?src=hash">#Dodgers</a></p>— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) <a href="

How much salary did Andrew chop so far?

Using the estimated arb numbers from baseballreference.com which was pretty close last year. Note De Aza 2014 is pro-rated for 1 month. With rounding the number is about $25M
PLAYER	YR	2014	2015De Aza	Arb-3	0.70	5.90Wieters	Arb-3	7.70	7.90Pearce	Arb-3	0.70	2.20Norris	Arb-3	5.30	8.70Hunter	Arb-3	3.00	4.40Davis	Arb-3	10.35	11.80Matusz	Arb-2	2.40	2.70Tillman	Arb-1	0.55	5.40Gonz.	Arb-1	0.53	3.70Flash	Arb-1	0.51	1.00Britton	Arb-1	0.52	3.20PLAYER	TOT	32.26	56.90

Thanks, I forgot about Tillman and Gonzo.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Andrew Friedman: 9 trades in 25 days. So far. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dodgers?src=hash">#Dodgers</a></p>— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) <a href="

Guy is the best GM in baseball by a mile.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Andrew Friedman: 9 trades in 25 days. So far. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dodgers?src=hash">#Dodgers</a></p>? Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) <a href="

Not much so far. Haren and Rollins cancel out.

Archived