Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Marlins?src=hash">#Marlins</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Reds?src=hash">#Reds</a> making progress on Mat Latos trade.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">December 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Told you Reds pitcher.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last year was last year, but I'll happily battle for 162 games in 2015 with Buck, Adam, Weiters, Manny, Davis, Tillman, Gonzalez, Chen, Pierce, JJ, Bud, Guasman, Britton, O'Day, Hunter, etc.

I think that a lot of teams would happily trade their teams for ours straight up.

Plus the offseason is far from over. Really if it's mid February and we haven't done any more of substance, I'll be upset but I have no problem with weighing all our options out here. And I think people forget sometimes that it takes two teams to trade. We can have all the interest we want in certain guys, it means nothing if the other party isn't interested or they're asking for too much.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Marlins?src=hash">#Marlins</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Reds?src=hash">#Reds</a> making progress on Mat Latos trade.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="
">December 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Told you Reds pitcher.

Latos is a nice pitcher to add....

You can say the same thing about the O's, really.

Absolutely. I wonder what they could have done in that series against KC if they had a legit #1 and #2... Hoping Bundy and Gausman fit that role soon, but Im not sure it is going to be this year when the talent is still in house.

Last year was last year time to move on. A.L West only better A.L Central- A LOT beter A.L East- Better making the playoffs in 2015 is gonna be tough.

There's always a little bit of Lake Wobegon in the offseason... everyone is better except us. They're all above average now! All the divisions will now average 88 wins.

You can say the same thing about the O's, really.

Can't we assume that Chen is an ace? He went 16-6 last year with a mid-3 ERA. I would call that ace material in the AL East.

Tillman wasn't too bad either last year.

I would say that these two guys are at least 2's.

The window is slamming shut after next yr... I hope we dont have to endure another decade plus long stretch of miserable play.

After next year, we lose Wieters, Davis, Norris and Chen. Am I missing anyone? If we don't resign any of those, you would hope our minor leaguers would supplement some of that: Walker, Alvarez, Sisco, Ohlman, Joseph, Bundy, Harvey, etc... We then have another catcher behind the plate, Pearce or Walker at 1B, Schoop at 2B, Hardy at SS and Manny at 3B. The outfield consists of Alvarez, Jones and some combo of DeAza, Lough and Pearce. As we are now, we have a hole at DH.

Can't we assume that Chen is an ace? He went 16-6 last year with a mid-3 ERA. I would call that ace material in the AL East.

Tillman wasn't too bad either last year.

I would say that these two guys are at least 2's.

They'd be a whole lot better if they pitched on another team. :rolleyestf:

My outsider perspective disagrees. Boston needs to add a Shields/Hamels/Scherzer. Right now that rotation doesn't have anyone you could list as more than a #3 or middle of the rotation type.

I think Porcello has potential to be a TOR pitcher. He's trending in the right direction and his 2014 season was very good. So right now he should be the opening day starter. But it cost the team Cespedes+ to land him. They do still need another starter and they're probably gonna get one.

The team is certainly improved over what they were at the end of the '14 season, but, far from a sure thing.

Archived