Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gausman and Bundy could be aces, but they're not now. Nobody on the O's staff is better than a mid-rotation starter. But that can be okay when you have a solid pen and plus defense.

Right, Detroit had the 3 CYAs and we had Tillman, Chen, Norris, and Gonzo. The latter won the division easily and advanced to the ALCS. I'm okay with not having a quote on quote elite TOR if it means there's an at leave above average rotation along with stellar D and a quality pen. Things by the way that ended up being the Tigers undoing against us. And you're right about Gausman and Bundy. Those two could be something special. I was real impressed with what I saw out of Gausman in the playoffs.

I wonder what Adam Jones is thinking.

Probably not what you think he's thinking. Believe it or not, not everyone is in panic mode. This offseason is on par with all the others... you know, that resulted in us being the best team in the AL East over the last three years.

Can't we assume that Chen is an ace? He went 16-6 last year with a mid-3 ERA. I would call that ace material in the AL East.

Tillman wasn't too bad either last year.

I would say that these two guys are at least 2's.

A mid 3 ERA isn't what it use to be post-PED. And it's not like the AL East had dominant offenses last year. Tampa, Boston, NY, not exactly a gauntlet.

Gausman and Bundy could be aces, but they're not now. Nobody on the O's staff is better than a mid-rotation starter. But that can be okay when you have a solid pen and plus defense.

I think Tillman is a solid #2 that can handle opening day / Game 1 duties, for what it's worth.

Can't we assume that Chen is an ace? He went 16-6 last year with a mid-3 ERA. I would call that ace material in the AL East.

Tillman wasn't too bad either last year.

I would say that these two guys are at least 2's.

LOL Now Chen is a ace only oriole fans.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>PSA: spending doesn't guarantee you'll win but if you won a WS I guarantee you spent. Top 10 payrolls win titles. Just a reminder <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a></p>— Ken Weinman (@KenWeinmanSport) <a href="

">December 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

At least someone in the Baltimore media gets it.

Right, Detroit had the 3 CYAs and we had Tillman, Chen, Norris, and Gonzo. The latter won the division easily and advanced to the ALCS. I'm okay with not having a quote on quote elite TOR if it means there's an at leave above average rotation along with stellar D and a quality pen. Things by the way that ended up being the Tigers undoing against us. And you're right about Gausman and Bundy. Those two could be something special. I was real impressed with what I saw out of Gausman in the playoffs.

Nice summary and an outlook I'm largely comfortable with. I would have liked the club to go out on the ledge and added Miller to make the quality pen an elite pen.

More like the Tigers pen cost them not the starters.

Pretty sure that's what I am saying. The fact is Tillman, Chen, and Norris pitched toe to toe with Scherzer, Verlander, and Price even though the latter have a much higher pedigree. Yes, Detroit was undid by their pen and lack of D. That's the whole point. I'm willing to not have the big name if it means I can have a quality D and above average pen.

Archived