How would you guys feel about Alexi Ogando?

Greg

Hammel had half a good season for us. Then lost 2 playoff starts. Then the following year I believe he took the mound 4 or 5 times with a winning streak going and lost them all. Hammel and JJ take are to blame for not making the playoffs in 2013.

This comment is unbelievably ignorant, wrong and all around not worth a response....I suggest you delete it because someone with google will slam it home.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well everyone we pick up after their stint in Texas seems to do good..for a bit at least

O'Day

Strop

Hunter

Davis

Cruz

It might just be my opinion, but that Showalter kid Texas threw away has done all right for us too. I'm pretty much all for dumpster diving in Texas until we hit a serious dud. Teagarden has been the only one I can recall that wasn't particularly impressive.

Hard to be anything but enthusiastic about signing a guy with a background like this if he can pass his physical and anybody in the organization thinks he has anything left. That does sound like it could be a pretty big if, but you aren't going to see him suit up with the Orioles if they don't think he can at least make it out to the mound without his arm falling off. Here's hoping his physical doesn't make the doctors shriek, I guess.

Hammel had half a good season for us. Then lost 2 playoff starts. Then the following year I believe he took the mound 4 or 5 times with a winning streak going and lost them all. Hammel and JJ take are to blame for not making the playoffs in 2013.

He was coming off an injury and pitched well in both games he started. We just couldn't score him any runs.

As I emerge from my depressed darkness of the playoff series loss, I would love to have Ogando on a low risk high incentive deal. When healthy is is filthy. I wonder what it would take to get him. If it isnt much, I would think that most MLB teams would jump at him on a one year deal...

• 4 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Two dozen teams expected at Alexi Ogando's showcase today in Tampa.</p>— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="

">January 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Two dozen teams expected at Alexi Ogando's showcase today in Tampa.</p>— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="
">January 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gammons is a legend, a Hall of Fame reporter, etc. etc. I grew up with him on Baseball Tonight and he was always must see TV. Seeing him now though, he just seems like your old Uncle who is barely hanging on. So basically two dozen teams is 24 of the 30 teams in the league. Why not say "Most teams sending reps to watch Oganda today?" How is this even news?

Gammons is a legend, a Hall of Fame reporter, etc. etc. I grew up with him on Baseball Tonight and he was always must see TV. Seeing him now though, he just seems like your old Uncle who is barely hanging on. So basically two dozen teams is 24 of the 30 teams in the league. Why not say "Most teams sending reps to watch Oganda today?" How is this even news?

It's news because most fans probably didn't even know there was a showcase today. I know I didn't.

Gammons still breaks his share of stories, even if the majority are now Boston-related.

Alexi Ogando - R - Rangers

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe was told by an American League executive that Alexi Ogando's shoulder medicals "don't look great."

It was Ogando's elbow that caused him to miss most of the 2014 season, but that was after shoulder issues plagued him throughout the 2013 campaign. Cafardo notes that the right-hander has been holding out for a major league contract after being non-tendered by the Rangers last month, but he might have to wind up settling for a minor league pact. Ogando would be a nice gamble on a minor league deal even with the health issues, as he holds a career 3.35 ERA and has shown he can both start and relieve.

Source: Boston Globe

Guess we can cross him off.

Alexi Ogando - R - Rangers

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe was told by an American League executive that Alexi Ogando's shoulder medicals "don't look great."

It was Ogando's elbow that caused him to miss most of the 2014 season, but that was after shoulder issues plagued him throughout the 2013 campaign. Cafardo notes that the right-hander has been holding out for a major league contract after being non-tendered by the Rangers last month, but he might have to wind up settling for a minor league pact. Ogando would be a nice gamble on a minor league deal even with the health issues, as he holds a career 3.35 ERA and has shown he can both start and relieve.

Source: Boston Globe

Guess we can cross him off.

Wouldn't you WANT to cross him off?

Archived