Fangraphs-Ranking Adam Jones

Il BuonO

The tough choices are sometimes the best ones. I'm not saying we should try to trade him or anything, but Dan also shouldn't refuse to listen to offers if he is able to get more value than he's giving up.

You could say that about any player that ever lived. But the bar is so high on what you would have to get for Jones its almost unreachable.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ranking Tulo #1 when he is injured every year, yet using the rationale that a player who has never spent time on the DL could possibly decline from an injury is just plain stupid.

Jones spent time on the DL in his first two seasons with us. I remember there being threads worrying about his durability. Funny how that perce

prion has changed.

I could see someone looking at it thus: The relative value of Jones to the Baltimore Orioles is so high that no other team would be willing to offer a package of equivalent value.

Assuming a few things that are brought up in the piece: let's say Jones pulls a hamstring in June and is out four weeks. He comes back and is less than his usual self AND there are still the usual issues with his approach. Let's say he finishes with 20-25 HRS and a .750 OPS.

All the minor things he's played through in the past will be more difficult as he ages. I don't know anyone for whom this isn't the case. This isn't Hardy who is providing plus defense at a premium position as he gets older (he was better last year but he isn't saving us runs out there).

The flip side is do you ride out the remaining years or look for a team like Seattle who's trying to beef up the offense and thinks he still has upside. They want to win now and give us a TOR plus an up and comer or two to take Jones place. You have to ask yourself is he a player who still has value to other teams at that point, enough so that we can two to three players in the deal.

All this is hypothetical of course, but there is a scenario I can envision where I would be ok with making a deal with years left on his contract. Like I said at the start, I love Jonesy but there's always a deal to be made.

Assuming a few things that are brought up in the piece: let's say Jones pulls a hamstring in June and is out four weeks. He comes back and is less than his usual self AND there are still the usual issues with his approach. Let's say he finishes with 20-25 HRS and a .750 OPS.

All the minor things he's played through in the past will be more difficult as he ages. I don't know anyone for whom this isn't the case. This isn't Hardy who is providing plus defense at a premium position as he gets older (he was better last year but he isn't saving us runs out there).

The flip side is do you ride out the remaining years or look for a team like Seattle who's trying to beef up the offense and thinks he still has upside. They want to win now and give us a TOR plus an up and comer or two to take Jones place. You have to ask yourself is he a player who still has value to other teams at that point, enough so that we can two to three players in the deal.

All this is hypothetical of course, but there is a scenario I can envision where I would be ok with making a deal with years left on his contract. Like I said at the start, I love Jonesy but there's always a deal to be made.

I love counting beans but Jones' value to the franchise extends beyond the playing field.

That aside, if you think the team is a contender you don't trade Jones. The value of pitching might be at an all time low, certainly it is the lowest it has been in decades. Right handed power on the other hand is in short supply. I think the market is correct in this case and that a bat is worth more then the comparable arm.

I could see someone looking at it thus: The relative value of Jones to the Baltimore Orioles is so high that no other team would be willing to offer a package of equivalent value.

This. Is there a package the Orioles would take for Adam Jones? There absolutely should be, but I don't think any team would REALISTICALLY offer anything they would take. It's fun to say we'd trade him for Andrew McCutchen and all, but the Pirates aren't offering that and for good reason.

Archived