Rotations in the MLB

twinedenter

I think the Mets have the best rotation, personally.

I think he's really overlooked Boston, Angels, and the Cubs. White Sox, Indians, and Padres are the weakest in his list-- I think I'd much rather have the Cubs rotation than the White Sox rotation. I think I'd rather have Boston over the Padres. I'd even consider taking the Mariners off his list; Hernandez and Iwakuma are great, sure... Paxton, Walker, and Happ have everything to prove.

I think he's really overlooked Boston, Angels, and the Cubs. White Sox, Indians, and Padres are the weakest in his list-- I think I'd much rather have the Cubs rotation than the White Sox rotation. I think I'd rather have Boston over the Padres. I'd even consider taking the Mariners off his list; Hernandez and Iwakuma are great, sure... Paxton, Walker, and Happ have everything to prove.

I don't like Boston's rotation at all. They have Porcello who was good but that maybe because he was the 5th starter not the ace. Buckholtz has been really bad lately. Miley didn't look good last season and Matherson was just awful last season. Kelly was ok but still has a lot to prove. I do agree th Cubs could be up their though.

I think Boston is awful. One of the three worst rotations out there. I think that the Cubs are full of helium. I do like Seattle. A lot. Angels have so many question marks. I think you are looking at trailing stats. Not where these guys are with health today.

I don't like Boston's rotation at all. They have Porcello who was good but that maybe because he was the 5th starter not the ace. Buckholtz has been really bad lately. Miley didn't look good last season and Matherson was just awful last season. Kelly was ok but still has a lot to prove. I do agree th Cubs could be up their though.

Boston is awful. Certainly I do not expect any rebounds from anyone there. I think Miley will get pounded in Fenway. I do like Porcello. As the number three starter. Problem is they have no one or two.

I like the Mets rotation. if deGrom is not an Ace and Harvey does not rebound, they could still have issues.

Carasco was so good he lost his starting job last season after the first month that was worse then Ubaldo for 3 months in the season and then pitched out of the pen. He was very good the last two months as a starter but I wouldn't say he was as good as a guy like Chen who was in the rotation all season. Salazer had a poor ERA and also a low WHIP in his 20 starts. The two had a combined 34 starts and had three good months combined by them last season.

And yet WAR has them just about equal even in less innings...

Forgive me if I don't put a lot of stock in ERA, especially when one teams starters are pitching in front of an excellent defense and he other teams starters are pitching in front of the leagues worst defense.

And yet WAR has them just about equal even in less innings...

Forgive me if I don't put a lot of stock in ERA, especially when one teams starters are pitching in front of an excellent defense and he other teams starters are pitching in front of the leagues worst defense.

I am not just looking at ERA, Whip also shows that Salazar was a league average starter. Salazar had a War of just .8 that is less then everyone of our starters if Ubaldo is in the pen. Carasc's WAR is based on his pitching in the pen mosly where he was great alond with the two months he had at end of the year. As I said he was good the last two months of the season but was horrible the previous season and the start of this season. When he puts up a solid full season then you can compare him to guys like Chen and Gonzo and even Norris until then you are looking at about 9 starts.

FWIW, he listed the Orioles' rotation as an honorable mention, and said that they could be top-10 if Gausman takes a big step forward.

Yeah, the Orioles are among the tops in the AL - notice the NL dominates that list with four of the five best rotations in baseball.

I am not just looking at ERA, Whip also shows that Salazar was a league average starter. Salazar had a War of just .8 that is less then everyone of our starters if Ubaldo is in the pen. Carasc's WAR is based on his pitching in the pen mosly where he was great alond with the two months he had at end of the year. As I said he was good the last two months of the season but was horrible the previous season and the start of this season. When he puts up a solid full season then you can compare him to guys like Chen and Gonzo and even Norris until then you are looking at about 9 starts.

WHIP is affected by bad defense just the same as ERA. I was looking at fWAR. Salazar was a 1.8, which puts him above Norris and Gonzalez in the Orioles rotation and in the ballpark of the others. I'm not going to give Gonzalez and Norris credit for the defense they pitch in front of. Norris is not good. He's been a below average starter until he got in front of the Orioles defense. That's not a coincidence. None of these guys are that good.

Boston is awful. Certainly I do not expect any rebounds from anyone there. I think Miley will get pounded in Fenway. I do like Porcello. As the number three starter. Problem is they have no one or two.

I have been very confused when everyone talks about Boston having a good rotation. Has any one of them ever had two good years in a row (league average or better)? The best case scenario could be good, but it seems to be the same as expecting Jimenez to return to the top of his game. It might happen but I wouldn't count on it.

I have been very confused when everyone talks about Boston having a good rotation. Has any one of them ever had two good years in a row (league average or better)? The best case scenario could be good, but it seems to be the same as expecting Jimenez to return to the top of his game. It might happen but I wouldn't count on it.

I like Porcello and Masterson a lot. Kelly is good too. They have a rotation similar to ours in that there is no #1 type of guy but a lot of upside throughout the rotation. I think Masterson has a big year.

Archived