Where Shields, Hamels and Zimmermann go could affect the O's

wildcard

No, I don't think any of them are coming to the O's. But any of these guys could help improve the Boston and Toronto rotation. Since the O's play their division rivals 19 times a season, where these guys go could make a difference to the O's

Toronto three year averages

Dickey, 16-11, 3.54 ERA, 225 IP, 34 S

Buehrle, 13-11, 3.76 ERA, 203 IP, 32 S

Stroman, 11-6, 3.65 ERA, 130 IP, 29 S (one year)

Hutchison, 11-13, 184 ERA, 184 IP, 32 S (2014 stats)

Norris Rookie

Boston

Miley, 11-11, 3.74 ERA, 199 IP, 32 S

Porcello, 13-11, 4.08 ERA, 186 IP, 30 S

Bucholz, 10-7, 4.18 ERA, 156 IP, 24 S

Masterson, 11-11, 4.62 ERA, 176 IP, 29 S

Kelly, 7-5, 3.41 ERA, 109 IP, 16 S

Put a #1 starter in front of either of this rotation and they get a whole lot better. Where the top starters fall and whether they land in Boston or Toronto may matter to the O's.

I think Zimmerman stays in DC. I don't know if Boston or Toronto would go after him for a 1 year run knowing full well he would cost a lot to keep anyway. I like Shields and he would help either team but he just doesn't strike fear into me. I could see him slip a little back to more of a middle rotation type. Hamels to Boston just makes too much sense. The Red Sox are loaded with prospects and the rest of his deal fits the Red Sox budget. I think it happens and on paper the Sox would then be the division favorite.

I think Zimmerman stays in DC. I don't know if Boston or Toronto would go after him for a 1 year run knowing full well he would cost a lot to keep anyway. I like Shields and he would help either team but he just doesn't strike fear into me. I could see him slip a little back to more of a middle rotation type. Hamels to Boston just makes too much sense. The Red Sox are loaded with prospects and the rest of his deal fits the Red Sox budget. I think it happens and on paper the Sox would then be the division favorite.

I don't think Hamels stuff will play quite as well in the AL East and left handed in Fenway. I would not be surprised at all for them to go harder for Zimmerman or Shields.

Archived