Buck: "Gausman will not be optioned if..."

wildcard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sending him down for a week isn't the solution to that particular problem.

Non-tendering Matusz and Hunter would have been a nice start.

I wouldn't have non-tendered them but would have looked to trade them. But Wright and the two Rule 5s came later.

And MacPhail was good at not making a decision until it was necessary. You don't know who might come up with an injury in those 8 days.

Sending him down for a week isn't the solution to that particular problem.

Non-tendering Matusz and Hunter would have been a nice start.

Hop in the DeLorean then. I'm just saying what the ideal circumstances are likely to be going forward. Sending him down for a week could be a solution to that problem if someone gets hurt in that week. I would also imagine that it is also easier to get a player through waivers 10 days into the season when 40-man and 25-man rosters are more solidified than the day before the season starts.

If you want to characterize it that way. I think if Duquette is unable to trade some guys, they might buy some time by optioning Gausman to start the season.

BTW, I wouldn't call you a liar if Gausman is optioned. Suppose he has a strained hamstring to start ST and is a little behind by the time spring ends. They could send him down to gain innings. There are lots of ways he could still start the year in the minors yet you made a definitive statement that he wouldn't be optioned.

Injuries may get him DL'd not optioned.

Pretty hard to say the Gausman is not one of the O's 12 best pitchers IMO.
If you go by the numbers I'd say Gausman is the 5th best out of 6 SP. He may well become one of the top two, but he isn't now. But Buck didn't say now, he said in ST. Gausman may get injured or they may pick up a TOR that bumps him back or he may struggle, it happens. I always find it funny that experienced baseball people like Buck never speak in absolutes because they know the game is unpredictable but fans insist on make categorical judgments.

He didn't say now, he said in ST. Gausman may get injured or they may pick up a TOR that bumps him back or he may struggle, it happens. I always find it funny that experienced baseball people like Buck never speak in absolutes because they know the game is unpredictable but fans insist on make categorical judgments.

Well considering that by some measures Gausman was their best starter last year I don't think they can bring in one guy that bumps him back.

Well considering that by some measures Gausman was their best starter last year I don't think they can bring in one guy that bumps him back.
What are those measures? Among the SP he was third in K/9, 4th in WHIP, 6th in IP, 5th in QS, 4th in ERA, fifth in BB/9, and oh yes 1st in FIP. I guess all those other measure pale in comparison. :rolleyestf:

What are those measures? Among the SP he was third in K/9, 4th in WHIP, 6th in IP, 5th in QS, 4th in ERA, fifth in BB/9, and oh yes 1st in FIP. I guess all those other measure pale in comparison. :rolleyestf:

He was also tied for third in ERA+ with Chen. In an earlier post you said 'if we make it about the numbers' but does that include just what you pick and not FIP?

How about other peripherals like HR/9? Gausman is lowest on the the team at .56 and after that is Tillman at .91 P/9. And pointing out he was 6th in IP? You remember they managed innings right? And even though KG pitched almost 100 fewer innings than Tillman, Gausman almost equaled his output in fWAR.

Tillman 207 IP 2.4 fWAR

Gausman 113 IP 2.1 fWAR

If he's not our best he's well on his way. That's just numbers. Care to guess what any of the scouts think when it comes to ceiling for current Orioles starters? Maybe we should stick categorical judgements where you pick the categories.

I think his most significant area of focus is fastball command. He has all of the tools to be superb. He just needs to command his fastball. He really is an outstanding young pitcher. He needs to command the fastball in the strike zone. If he does that his secondaries will play very well. I think the PCs known how to get him there. Wallace and Chiti are experienced coaches who know how to get the best from him. I am optimistic about his chances this year.

He was also tied for third in ERA+ with Chen. In an earlier post you said 'if we make it about the numbers' but does that include just what you pick and not FIP?

How about other peripherals like HR/9? Gausman is lowest on the the team at .56 and after that is Tillman at .91 P/9. And pointing out he was 6th in IP? You remember they managed innings right? And even though KG pitched almost 100 fewer innings than Tillman, Gausman almost equaled his output in fWAR.

Tillman 207 IP 2.4 fWAR

Gausman 113 IP 2.1 fWAR

If he's not our best he's well on his way. That's just numbers. Care to guess what any of the scouts think when it comes to ceiling for current Orioles starters? Maybe we should stick categorical judgements where you pick the categories.

Ceiling isn't the issue. Bundy has the highest ceiling of anyone in our orgsnization, but that doesn't make him our best pitcher now. And fWAR is driven by FIP, so citing both is redundant IMO. I'm on record as saying its quite possible that Gsusman will be one of our best 2-3 starters this year, but he wasn't last year IMO.

Archived