Buck: "Gausman will not be optioned if..."

wildcard

I think his most significant area of focus is fastball command. He has all of the tools to be superb. He just needs to command his fastball. He really is an outstanding young pitcher. He needs to command the fastball in the strike zone. If he does that his secondaries will play very well. I think the PCs known how to get him there. Wallace and Chiti are experienced coaches who know how to get the best from him. I am optimistic about his chances this year.

While fastball command is important I am more worried about his breaking ball. He needs a consistent breaking ball to get deep into games.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ceiling isn't the issue. Bundy has the highest ceiling of anyone in our orgsnization, but that doesn't make him our best pitcher now. And fWAR is driven by FIP, so citing both is redundant IMO. I'm on record as saying its quite possible that Gsusman will be one of our best 2-3 starters this year, but he wasn't last year IMO.

You disagree but it is a defensible position.

Probably not a popular option but Gausman will be with the club the whole year, but I could certainly see him going in and out of the rotation. Would be nice to have a guy to spot start, or just give a guy a day off now and then to rest their arm. Buck knows what he is doing. In my mind Gausman will have to pitch his way in and out of the rotation if you know what I mean. He won't be handed it, but when he gets there he will probably stay unless he starts pitching badly.

I think his most significant area of focus is fastball command. He has all of the tools to be superb. He just needs to command his fastball. He really is an outstanding young pitcher. He needs to command the fastball in the strike zone. If he does that his secondaries will play very well. I think the PCs known how to get him there. Wallace and Chiti are experienced coaches who know how to get the best from him. I am optimistic about his chances this year.

I think he is one heck of a young arm myself.

Ceiling isn't the issue. Bundy has the highest ceiling of anyone in our orgsnization, but that doesn't make him our best pitcher now. And fWAR is driven by FIP, so citing both is redundant IMO. I'm on record as saying its quite possible that Gsusman will be one of our best 2-3 starters this year, but he wasn't last year IMO.

I cited his fWAR not FIP. I don't think it should be dismissed when discussing numbers and the post I responded to included neither. Ceiling may not be the issue but neither strictly is numbers. Gausman is arguably one of our best right now, as you yourself said, depending on what measure used and I never claimed he was the best last year.

There's going to be a roster crunch going into Opening Day. With 6 starters, two rule V guys, 7 relievers without options, and no need for a 5th starter until game 8, I'm looking forward to how this plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These things have a way of working themselves out.

The problem is Ubaldo, not Gausman. But Ubaldo is not as well suited to the pen as Gausman is. And he costs a lot more money. So in choosing between the two, you send Gausman to the pen where he has proven to be very effective with his two pitches. When he manages to develop a third pitch then you let him start.

The problem is Ubaldo, not Gausman. But Ubaldo is not as well suited to the pen as Gausman is. And he costs a lot more money. So in choosing between the two, you send Gausman to the pen where he has proven to be very effective with his two pitches. When he manages to develop a third pitch then you let him start.

Except guys don't develop secondary pitches in the BP they usually drop them. A good example would be Britton, who has become essentially a one pitch pitcher.

Jimenez does cost more but starting pitchers provide more value so Gausman will be in the rotation regardless of how much money Jimenez makes. If he doesn't perform he won't.

Archived