Buck: "Gausman will not be optioned if..."

wildcard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If everyone is healthy out of ST I think we see a trade for Norris or Gonzalez. A part of me wishes that the Chen for Kendrick trade went down. Regardless, I see Gausman in the rotation. Though I thought I remembered Buck saying something about an innings limit for Gausman in that interview and that could have him start the year in the bullpen.

He pitched 45.1 innings in the minors, 113.1 in the majors and 8.0 in the playoffs. That is 166.2 innings. Add 30 and you are looking at 196.2 innings. The only O's pitcher to throw more then 200 innings last year was Tillman.

Gausman doesn't need to have an innings cap this year.

He pitched 45.1 innings in the minors, 113.1 in the majors and 8.0 in the playoffs. That is 166.2 innings. Add 30 and you are looking at 196.2 innings. The only O's pitcher to throw more then 200 innings last year was Tillman.

If Strasburg ever goes into the Hall of Fame, there's a good chance he'll be wearing an Innings cap on his plaque.

Hmmm I didn't look too close at the numbers so you're right. I was just going off what I heard in the interview. Buck mentioned having a number that he and Dave discussed.

I think that Buck was speaking in a larger sense when he said he wouldn't be optioned. The Orioles shouldn't hesitate to use his option for roster flexibility over the first eight games of the season. It would be foolish not to option him instead of playing with an extra player for the first seven games.

I think that Buck was speaking in a larger sense when he said he wouldn't be optioned. The Orioles shouldn't hesitate to use his option for roster flexibility over the first eight games of the season. It would be foolish not to option him instead of playing with an extra player for the first seven games.

Except that burns an option. They might have a greater need of that option in 2016 when Bundy will have to spend the whole year in the majors.

I'd not want to potentially handcuff myself in the future for an extra bench guy for a week.

Except that burns an option. They might have a greater need of that option in 2016 when Bundy will have to spend the whole year in the majors.

I'd not want to potentially handcuff myself in the future for an extra bench guy for a week.

Actually, a player needs to be down for a combined 20 days for the option year to be used.

Plus it is likely his spot would be used on one of the many option less relievers.

Actually, a player needs to be down for a combined 20 days for the option year to be used.

Plus it is likely his spot would be used on one of the many option less relievers.

Yep, he wouldn't lose an option year nor any service time. He would still earn a full year of service time.

Every once in a while I see a post where someone believes the Gausman may be optioned because the O's have 6 starters. Well I believe Buck answered that question. Its not going to happen. Buck was on 105.7 The Fan and made the following comment:

I think most of us can agree that Gausman is one of the O's best 12 pitchers. Thanks Buck for clearing that up.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/01/27/orioles-hot-stove-show-buck-showalter-matt-wieters/

That doesn't mean he won't be in the bullpen.

Don't know why I can't retain that piece of information.

Regardless I wouldn't send him down at all at this point unless there was an actual need and not just being cute.

Archived