Zaun: Best Mitchell Report excuse yet

blueberryale77

Gregg Zaun says he was implicated based on a check which he signed and gave to Jason Grimsley blank, either to pay off a gambling debt, because he owed him money, or because he's just a really nice guy. He says he can't remember exactly why he gave Grimsley the check, but that he had a habit of writing checks to people and not filling in who they were written to. Apparently the handwriting on the check is inconsistent and the addressee part looks like Grimsley's handwriting.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=308925

I'm not going to speculate on whether Zaun ever really used steroids or not. I like Zaun (he was very nice to my travel softball team way back when he played for the Baysox at Memorial Stadium) and would like him not to be lying, but waiting two months and then responding to only one of the allegations against him is a little sketch (a former bullpen catcher who was arrested for marijuana told MLB investigators in 2003 that he had sold steroids to Zaun and 7 other MLB players). Regardless, he definitely wins the best excuse award. If we're going to have to keep hearing about steroids, at least it should be funny. :002_scool:

Gregg Zaun says he was implicated based on a check which he signed and gave to Jason Grimsley blank, either to pay off a gambling debt, because he owed him money, or because he's just a really nice guy. He says he can't remember exactly why he gave Grimsley the check, but that he had a habit of writing checks to people and not filling in who they were written to. Apparently the handwriting on the check is inconsistent and the addressee part looks like Grimsley's handwriting.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=308925

I'm not going to speculate on whether Zaun ever really used steroids or not. I like Zaun (he was very nice to my travel softball team way back when he played for the Baysox at Memorial Stadium) and would like him not to be lying, but waiting two months and then responding to only one of the allegations against him is a little sketch (a former bullpen catcher who was arrested for marijuana told MLB investigators in 2003 that he had sold steroids to Zaun and 7 other MLB players). Regardless, he definitely wins the best excuse award. If we're going to have to keep hearing about steroids, at least it should be funny. :002_scool:

Haha, good one. I do that all the time when I write checks. And it would take me two months to get my story straight... I mean get over my shock and anger... before responding to those types of allegations :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see what Rick Dempsey will say about it. I mean, he loves to remind us every other day that Zaun is his nephew.

Oops! He did address the other allegations. I don't know why the paper decided to put it in a separate article. He says he doesn't remember the bullpen catcher, and that he cooperated with MLB's investigation back in 2003 and agreed to undergo extra random testing at the time. I wonder why Mitchell included the info about Zaun but not the other players he accused.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=308937

Archived