O'Day: "I'd like to come back, for sure"

wildcard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most, if not all will be gone. It's basically been decided at this point. There are no great extension candidates here (when you consider money and quality) A poor market for them later is probably the best chance to retain any of them. O'Day might very well be the best extension candidate but I don't see it happening.

Chen is a great extension candidate. However, it's okay to let everyone of them go as long as their replaced by a equal of better player.

Chen is a great extension candidate. However, it's okay to let everyone of them go as long as their replaced by a equal of better player.

I'd be very interested in bringing Chen back on a reasonable deal. His velocity is up from when the O's signed him and I am excited about the new change up grip.

I just see him being out of the O's price range.

Depends on how big the "core" is (or needs to be) I guess. Lower payroll teams need to be more dynamic and flexible. Like COC said, some guys have been brought back and others will be here for several more years. I think guys like Tillman and Machado are more realistic extension candidates (and both of those aren't near term concerns) at this point to focus on. Machado, not quite yet obviously. Certainly we are relying heavily on some of the young pitchers (Gausman, Bundy, Harvey and others) to perform well over the next few years and it will be major blow if they don't.
I have no problem with what COC said. What he said was reasonable, with a core of players being here for several years.
As for me, I'd rather have sound management, effective processes and good organizational and decision making systems over a cadre of players with some undefined feeling of "chemistry". Perhaps we need to do more work to have some of our players buy into our system and processes, but competing interest are always going to make that difficult, and this issue is not unique to the Baltimore Orioles. I see no need to compromise what we're doing to placate some seemingly unhappy ballplayers.

I wish I could time warp back to 1970 and have a lot of things they way they were, but you have to adapt to change. Part of that change is there aren't many long tenured and/or career Baltimore Orioles players to grow attached to anymore. That's the case with most teams, even many of the higher spending one. The players seem to be doing well by that. Us fans, not as much I guess.

Like I said, rooting for black-and-orange jerseys. Or actually, I should phrase it better. Rooting for GM, Manager, and organization rather than rooting for GM, Manager, organization, and a team consisting of players.

Of course, if I had my way, they would still have the reserve clause. :D And the players would all be suing me. :angryfire::cussing: :rofl:

I see the familiarity point, but I think O'Day's unusual delivery works in his favor to counteract this. To the extent bullpens benefit from a wide array of arsenals, he's an excellent tool to have in the box.

I wouldn't expect anything early because last Sept/Oct his body started letting him down. The club will want to see how he holds up in the sixth and hopefully seventh month of play this year before buying future seasons.

I agree. The O's should exercise some caution. He didn't have his best stuff toward the end of the season. In 2.2 innings in the playoffs, he gave up 2 home runs.

I suppose that DD (or Angelos or both) believes that they can all be replaced with someone cheaper. My problem with DD is that he sometimes seems to think that players are replaceable machine parts. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't root for orange-and-black jerseys. I root for some of the players that are wearing those orange-and-black jerseys.

I'm not saying that the organization needs to keep all of these players. But it would be nice to keep at least a core.

I root for the team. I don't care who wears the jersey. As for DD he has done a

pretty good job making the team better.

I root for the team. I don't care who wears the jersey. As for DD he has done a

pretty good job making the team better.

I root for the team as well. But a team consists of players. I do care who wears our jerseys because they represent our team, the Orioles.

I root for the team as well. But a team consists of players. I do care who wears our jerseys because they represent our team, the Orioles.

I care to the extent that I would prefer the team not acquire players like K-Rod and Delmon Young.

As long as they players aren't criminals I am pretty OK with whomever they sign.

Archived