Travis Snider in right field today....What would Nick have done?

Davey

This post caught my attention because I can't believe how many posters think that was either routine or easy. I still can't believe the official scorer gave him an error. Outfielders often misjudge easier balls than that and the ball drops in or over their head and, generally, as long as they don't drop the ball, they aren't given an error. That clearly wasn't a drop. He made a great effort and the ball barely tipped off his glove. One of the toughest errors I've ever seen given out.
I agree, that's a pretty tough error.

I agree, also.

Chris Tillman may not have had a problem with the error being charged to Snider, but that's understandable.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This post caught my attention because I can't believe how many posters think that was either routine or easy. I still can't believe the official scorer gave him an error. Outfielders often misjudge easier balls than that and the ball drops in or over their head and, generally, as long as they don't drop the ball, they aren't given an error. That clearly wasn't a drop. He made a great effort and the ball barely tipped off his glove. One of the toughest errors I've ever seen given out.
I was surprised, too. Most of the time, such plays are ruled to be hits, not errors.

SSS,

But the dude is producing with his bat.

[TABLE=class: sortable stats_table row_summable]

<tbody>[TR=class: full]

[TD=align: left]2015[/TD]

[TD=align: right]27[/TD]

[TD=align: left]BAL[/TD]

[TD=align: left]AL[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6[/TD]

[TD=align: right]23[/TD]

[TD=align: right]18[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3[/TD]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD=align: right].389[/TD]

[TD=align: right].522[/TD]

[TD=align: right].611[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1.133[/TD]

[TD=align: right]219[/TD]

[TD=align: right]11[/TD]

[TD=align: left]*/9D[/TD]

[TD=align: left][/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

As for the misplayed ball, all outfielders do this, even gold glove AJ.

It happens, you just hope it doesn't happen to often.

all-in-the-game-meme-generator-all-in-the-game-yo-all-in-the-game-0f9139.jpg?w=584

Now, there is no way to tell Snider to judge the ball correctly next time. An outfielder either can tell it's going over his head or not. The best he can do, is to "when in doubt" take the first step back. I think that's what most outfielders do. Next time a hitter takes a big swing and hits a fly ball to shallow CF and Adam Jones can't make up the ground because his initial step was back, you can be sure that the official scorer at OPACY will not rule it an error.

He headed back more than he needed to on a ball hit to his left. Went back and then had to come in on it. At least he caught it.

• 2 weeks later...

He certainly had a terrible inning. Got a very bad break on Navarro's hit over his head, then misplayed the carom to allow Navarro to advance to 3B. Made an ill advised throw home on a single that allowed the batter and another runner to advance a base. Then made a leaping attempt at a ball that hit the wall about four feet off the ground and five feet to the right of where he jumped.

I know his defense hasn't been the best but I wonder how much this turf is effecting the players.

Snider's defense has definitely not been fun to watch. I wonder how long Buck keeps in the lineup as a RF. I wouldn't be shocked to see Davis out there soon.

Archived