Orioles Franchise Four

ArtVanDelay

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of these franchise four are laughable. You can't tell me David Ortiz should be above Jim Rice, Wade Boggs, Cy Young.

Adrian Beltre?

That's what you get from the fan vote.

Red Sox - David Ortiz over Cy Young

White Sox - Paul Konerko, Harold Baines over Eddie Collins, Luke Appling

Indians - Omar Vizquel over Nap Lajoie

Senators / Twins - Kirby Puckett, Tony Oliva over Walter Johnson

Athletics - Dennis Eckersley over Lefty Grove

Rangers - Nolan Ryan, Adrian Beltre over Juan Gonzalez

Pirates - Bill Mazeroski over Barry Bonds, Paul Waner

Cardinals - Lou Brock over Albert Pujols

Giants - Buster Posey, 'roided Barry Bonds over Christy Mathewson, Mel Ott

...also, Nolan Ryan making three separate teams. Yeah, right. There were some major oversights that didn't even make the eight on the ballot! Bobby Doerr? Ed Walsh? Grover Cleveland Alexander couldn't find a spot on either the Phillies or Cubs ballot?

Shouldn't be surprising though.

I think it is hilarious that Vlad Guerrerro was top 4 for Angels.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Wut? Why? The Angels don't really have much of a history with great players. I don't even think they have a HOfer. And Halos Hesven choice for greatest Angels player of all-time was 0x all-star Tim Salmon. I think Vlad easily fits in their top 4. He was probably their best position player ever at his peak, won a MVP, led them to a bunch of playoff appearances and has a good shot at being the first Angels player inducted into the HOF. Who would you put ahead of him?

Wut? Why? The Angels don't really have much of a history with great players. I don't even think they have a HOfer. And Halos Hesven choice for greatest Angels player of all-time was 0x all-star Tim Salmon. I think Vlad easily fits in their top 4. He was probably their best position player ever at his peak, won a MVP, led them to a bunch of playoff appearances and has a good shot at being the first Angels player inducted into the HOF. Who would you put ahead of him?

Kinda crazy Nolan Ryan went in the the Hall as a Ranger.

Brian Downing

Chuck Finley

Jim Fregosi

Bobby Grich

Nolan Ryan

Tim Salmon

Frank Tanana

Mike Trout (eventually)

Vladdy suffers from split-team syndrome. He did win an MVP for the Angels but if he were to make the HOF, he should wear an Expos cap.

Brian Downing

Chuck Finley

Jim Fregosi

Bobby Grich

Nolan Ryan

Tim Salmon

Frank Tanana

Mike Trout (eventually)

Vladdy suffers from split-team syndrome. He did win an MVP for the Angels but if he were to make the HOF, he should wear an Expos cap.

I would take Vlad's six years with the Angels over most of those guy's careers. My top 4 Angels would be Ryan, Grich, Salmon and Vlad. And putting Vlad in the HOF as an Expo would be like putting Frank Robinson in the HOF as a Red. The only thing I remember from Vlad's time with the Expos was his 40-40 season. Almost all of his big games and memorable moments happened while he was wearing an Angels uniform.

The Nats should embrace the Expos. You can't tell me a Bryce Harper throwback Expos jersey wouldn't sell.

The Nats have nothing to do with the Expos. The Nats existence means there is no more Expos. That would be like the Ravens embracing the Browns, or the Orioles embracing the Browns. I'm pretty sure people from Quebec ain't doing much embracing of the Nats. Would it be fun to have Johnny Unitas day in Indianapolis?

That's what you get from the fan vote.

Red Sox - David Ortiz over Cy Young

White Sox - Paul Konerko, Harold Baines over Eddie Collins, Luke Appling

Indians - Omar Vizquel over Nap Lajoie

Senators / Twins - Kirby Puckett, Tony Oliva over Walter Johnson

Athletics - Dennis Eckersley over Lefty Grove

Rangers - Nolan Ryan, Adrian Beltre over Juan Gonzalez

Pirates - Bill Mazeroski over Barry Bonds, Paul Waner

Cardinals - Lou Brock over Albert Pujols

Giants - Buster Posey, 'roided Barry Bonds over Christy Mathewson, Mel Ott

...also, Nolan Ryan making three separate teams. Yeah, right. There were some major oversights that didn't even make the eight on the ballot! Bobby Doerr? Ed Walsh? Grover Cleveland Alexander couldn't find a spot on either the Phillies or Cubs ballot?

Shouldn't be surprising though.

People have little interest or concept of history. Especially sports history. Most people get their sports knowledge from ESPN, which tends to treat anything prior to 1979 as ancient Sumarian pre-history.

Although that doesn't quite explain Mazeroski over Bonds (Orioles equivalent: Mike Bordick over Raffy), or Brock over Pujols (say... Aparicio over Eddie) or Eck over Grove (Tippy over Palmer). Most people just don't care so you get ridiculous fan votes. My boss, who inexplicably is both a good guy and a Yanks fan, didn't know who Don Larsen was.

I guess this helps frame the BBWAA HOF votes. If the average fan thinks that Harold Baines was better than inner circle-HOFer Eddie Collins then maybe we should just be thankful that many of the writers have some vague notion that there was once some guy named Ron Santo.

The original voting instructions, said to vote for the 4 players that made the most "IMPACT" to the team's organization's history.

If you're going to excuse insane picks by saying that "impact" could mean anything you want it to mean, then that really tells us what this is all about. You might as well have said "free associate four names of people who may have once had some connection to your organization." Tippy Martinez! Ralph Salvon! Larry MacPhail! Jack Dunn!

Archived