Orioles Franchise Four

ArtVanDelay

Another thing... as a league matures and becomes more stable secondary things fall into place. Like stadiums. In 1890 almost every team played in a wooden park with fences that simply defined the boundary of the land the team owned. So a fence might be 250 feet from the plate, or it might be 550 feet from the plate. I don't recall what Crosley Field was like in the 30s, but it might have had fences that were impossibly far away. That kind of thing started to disappear around 1910 and was done by WWII.

I was stunned that there was still such a huge range in HR's in 1931. I thought both leagues quickly shifted to the "modern" offensive era that was led by Ruth and that the days of Ruth out slugging whole teams had passed by 1931.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was stunned that there was still such a huge range in HR's in 1931. I thought both leagues quickly shifted to the "modern" offensive era that was led by Ruth and that the days of Ruth out slugging whole teams had passed by 1931.

In 1920 homers ranged from 16 (Pirates) to 115 (Yankees). In 1925 it was 38 to 114. In 1930 it was 47 to 171. In '35 it was 32 to 123. In 1940 it was 52 to 155. 1945 was a Balata ball war year and fell back to 22 to 114. Finally by 1950 we have something approaching modern baseball with a range of 76 to 194.

One recent example - men's soccer as a thing is far more mature than women's, so while we saw Germany's women beat Cote d'Ivorie 10-0 a score like that would never, ever happen in the men's World Cup.
Yeah, Germany's mens team only beat Brazil in front of the Brazilian home crowd 7-1 last year. Sure, Brazil had won five previous world cups.

Yeah, Germany's mens team only beat Brazil in front of the Brazilian home crowd 7-1 last year. Sure, Brazil had won five previous world cups.

That was one of the all-time stunning, surprise beat downs that was the lead on every sports highlight show in the world. When Germany beat Cote D'Ivorie by a much worse score there was little comment, everyone just kind of accepted that the depth of talent in women's soccer leads to that kind of thing.

In 1920 homers ranged from 16 (Pirates) to 115 (Yankees). In 1925 it was 38 to 114. In 1930 it was 47 to 171. In '35 it was 32 to 123. In 1940 it was 52 to 155. 1945 was a Balata ball war year and fell back to 22 to 114. Finally by 1950 we have something approaching modern baseball with a range of 76 to 194.

Yep -- one of the popular cutoff points for "modern era baseball" is after WW-II, because of the return of so many players, as well as integration. But I wouldn't say the majors were fully mature until 1961, with the advent of the 162 game schedule, followed by the expansion of the Angels, Rangers, Mets, and Colt 45s/Astros.

Yep -- one of the popular cutoff points for "modern era baseball" is after WW-II, because of the return of so many players, as well as integration. But I wouldn't say the majors were fully mature until 1961, with the advent of the 162 game schedule, followed by the expansion of the Angels, Rangers, Mets, and Colt 45s/Astros.

It's a continuum. There are probably a bunch of logical inflection points, and it probably doesn't make sense to settle on one definition of "modern". The most common one is probably 1900, but there are very substantial changes at 1893, 1920, 1945/7, 1961, 1993, and now maybe 2010ish.

• 3 weeks later...

The Nats should embrace the Expos. You can't tell me a Bryce Harper throwback Expos jersey wouldn't sell.

If you really wanted one, this is what it would look like.

I went to the website where this picture is from and I couldn't find it on sale there, though.

If worse comes/came to worse, you could always do what I did to get my Reggie Jackson Orioles jersey ...... get a blank Expos jersey, and have his (Harper's) name and number printed on the back of it.

Good luck, either way.

Authentic-Embroider-Bryce-Harper-Jersey-34-Montreal-font-b-Expos-b-font-With-Button-Solid-Material.jpg

If worse comes/came to worse, you could always do what I did to get my Reggie Jackson Orioles jersey ...... get a blank Expos jersey, and have his (Harper's) name and number printed on the back of it.

I remember seeing you post that jersey once. You wore that to Yankee Stadium, correct? Funny, funny, funny. Love it! :2yay-thumb:

Archived