Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

I am a realist first, fan second. Any objective person can see this is not a very talented baseball team.

Pretty sure you can't take a "not very talented baseball team" add a DH and a 70 inning reliever and make them a contender.

So if this team really isn't very talented then all the more reason for them to have not signed Cruz and Miller.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure you can't take a "not very talented baseball team" add a DH and a 70 inning reliever and make them a contender.

So if this team really isn't very talented then all the more reason for them to have not signed Cruz and Miller.

The good vibes from the commitment to winning management shows through free agent contracts has a massive feedback effect. Every 3-win free agent really brings back eight or 10 wins through esprit de corps.

If there's one thing I've learned in 15 years of Orioles Hangout it's that soul-crushingly bitter pessimists always, always, always frame themselves as realists.
But they had the elite Nelson Cruz carrying them through the summer (he did hit .214/.283/.398 in June/July/August as they built a lead) and lead them to glory.
The good vibes from the commitment to winning management shows through free agent contracts has a massive feedback effect. Every 3-win free agent really brings back eight or 10 wins through esprit de corps.

I generally object to anyone being lumped into any particular "group" or mock with any kinds of epithets. In this case, I think the "Soul-Crushers" tend to be one individual several time over or actual fans of other organizations that enjoy watching the member of this site squirm and wriggle. Mostly. Folks who bring facts to an argument, not so much.

I am a realist first, fan second. Any objective person can see this is not a very talented baseball team.

Are you familiar with the old quote: "You're never as good as you think you are when you win; and you're never as bad as you feel when you lose."

Take a breath brother, let's see how this plays out rather than making blanket proclamations on Internet message boards.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 16m16 minutes ago

Eduardo Rodriguez, Red Sox Nation turns its lonely eyes to you. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=rodrig006edu ? 1 BB, 16Ks, 1.93 ERA in three Class AAA starts.

View summary 23 retweets 21 favorites

Andrew Miller now up to 8.! innings pitched, 16 strikeouts, 2 hits, 0 runs

If you get rid of a top flight prospect you better sign the best reliever in baseball

Eduardo Rodriguez, Red Sox Nation turns its lonely eyes to you. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=rodrig006edu ? 1 BB, 16Ks, 1.93 ERA in three Class AAA starts.

If you get rid of a top flight prospect you better sign the best reliever in baseball

Ubaldo had 10+ innings of shutout ball to start the season. Of course he did that over a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boston has pitching problems and E-Rod is in AAA.

The signing has nothing to do with the acquisition. Miller was a free agent, they traded Rodriguez for two months of him, no more, no less. And it's funny how Rodriguez is now a top flight prospect. At the time of the deal there was relatively little pushback since Duquette had traded a failed suspect for a top pitcher for the stretch run. Among Baysox starters with 10+ GS he had the 5th-best ERA. He had been clearly outperformed by fellow 21-year-old Baysox Zach Davies.

The signing has nothing to do with the acquisition. Miller was a free agent, they traded Rodriguez for two months of him, no more, no less. And it's funny how Rodriguez is now a top flight prospect. At the time of the deal there was relatively little pushback since Duquette had traded a failed suspect for a top pitcher for the stretch run. Among Baysox starters with 10+ GS he had the 5th-best ERA. He had been clearly outperformed by fellow 21-year-old Baysox Zach Davies.

Well, I was one of the ones pushing back. I thought EdRod was too high a price for a two-month rental. However, I will freely admit I didn't expect EdRod to pitch as well as he has since leaving the Baysox. He's certainly looking like he will get a shot at the Red Sox rotation sometime this season.

Boston has pitching problems and E-Rod is in AAA.

Plus I don't really see how any of their starting prospects break into the rotation. Guess they would have to put Masterson and his $9M contract in the bullpen. But that would likely be for Barnes. They shot themselves in the foot by trading for Porcello and Wiley and extending both of them.

Well, I was one of the ones pushing back. I thought EdRod was too high a price for a two-month rental. However, I will freely admit I didn't expect EdRod to pitch as well as he has since leaving the Baysox. He's certainly looking like he will get a shot at the Red Sox rotation sometime this season.

I had some reservations, but the combination of his underwhelming numbers repeating AA, and some middling scouting reports from guys like Stotle (IIRC) led me to be okay with it. Sometimes you have to make a push, I thought it was justified, if not without risk.

Archived