Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

Don't they? I was pretty sure one or both of them at least does some kind of leverage adjustment. Not full-on WPA incorporation, but leverage does play into it in some fashion.

Yeah, unless they've recently changed rWAR weights leveraged performance more than fWAR.. You'll often see fairly wide margins between rWAR and fWAR for relievers.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, unless they've recently changed rWAR weights leveraged performance more than fWAR.. You'll often see fairly wide margins between rWAR and fWAR for relievers.

I stand corrected. rWAR factors in leverage index, solely for relief pitchers. From the descriptions on fangraphs, I do not believe fWAR factors in leverage.

I stand corrected. rWAR factors in leverage index, solely for relief pitchers. From the descriptions on fangraphs, I do not believe fWAR factors in leverage.

Yet another inning of shutout ball tonight by Miller. 9.1 innings 3 hits, 17 strikeouts no runs. This has to be the best free agent pick-up of the year. Listening to Ken Weiman on 105.7 the fan he said he originally did not want to sign Miller, but now realizes with the state of the O's bullpen we should have re-signed him . How many other posters are willing to admit at this point of the season they are wrong? How much is it going to cost over the next three years to find someone or a group of relievers to equal Miller's production? The Yankees are in first place and are thanking the Orioles organization for not signing him.

Yet another inning of shutout ball tonight by Miller. 9.1 innings 3 hits, 17 strikeouts no runs. This has to be the best free agent pick-up of the year. Listening to Ken Weiman on 105.7 the fan he said he originally did not want to sign Miller, but now realizes with the state of the O's bullpen we should have re-signed him . How many other posters are willing to admit at this point of the season they are wrong? How much is it going to cost over the next three years to find someone or a group of relievers to equal Miller's production? The Yankees are in first place and are thanking the Orioles organization for not signing him.

I remember when John Parrish had a line like that for a while. For you to be demanding respect for your viewpoint after 9 innings is a bit odd. I told you before. I loved Miller. And I would have like having him. If I knew Hardy was gonna get hurt, I would have given him his money. But Dan spent all the money he was given. Also, who was going to tell Britton that he was demoted?

He hasn't even been the best free agent the O's let walk last year.

They have different math for relievers, but yeah, they don't use leverage like rWAR does.

Miller turned down a $40 million deal to take $36 million from the Yankees because that's the team he wanted to play for. No matter how much you whine about it, he wasn't going to pitch for the Orioles.

Miller turned down a $40 million deal to take $36 million from the Yankees because that's the team he wanted to play for. No matter how much you whine about it, he wasn't going to pitch for the Orioles.

Please provide your source. Also Andrew still thinking of the city

Andrew Miller says the Yankees kept track of what was going on in Baltimore by watching CNN; sending his best wishes out there

29 retweets 23 favorites

Reply Retweet29 Favorite

Miller is unhittable. Yes, he could get hurt. Yes, he could regress. Yes, we could have an earthquake that flattens Camden yards. There are no sure things in life. We should have gone up to 12 million imho. The O's made 37 million in profit last year. Would it really hurt so much to go down to 25?

The Yankees are in first, paying Miller a premium would have taken him away from the Yankees, so it's not all about his value for the O's. I realize he comes with risk. But, who doesn't? Adam Jones could get a season ending injury tomorrow. Assuming he will never get hurt because he hasn't so far is foolish. Most injuries are random. Only a few are systematic.

Top shelf relief arm ~ #4 starter value; elite of the elite can approach #3 starter value but very very rare and requires heavy use.

Only if you trust the formula that comes up with that result, which I don't. I'm going to bed but I would be interested in the Orioles record after signing Miller last year.

Only if you trust the formula that comes up with that result, which I don't. I'm going to bed but I would be interested in the Orioles record after signing Miller last year.

That's based on certain industry valuations, not public metrics. And I 100% believe it. Also requires minimum of around 60-65 IP, I believe, assuming typical leverage during implementation (at a certain point the effort you put into parsing the value isn't worth the added accuracy of the output). Rough guide, but it's one I follow with comfort.

You'll have to excuse those of us not worshiping the almighty Miller for single-handedly carrying the Yankees to 3 games ahead of last place on April 27th.

He's a Yankee now... screw him.

Archived