What to do about the bullpen?

Crazysilver03

The stats will show that our relievers lost the game for us. However, we will never know how many low scoring, 1 and 2 run losses this year would have been won had we had our cleanup hitter from last year batting cleanup for us this year. Its not rocket science, folks, it will be painfully obvious this year, as it is already, that we are lacking a true clean up hitter. Holding Boston to just a very few hits and runs and having no- thing to show for it is very demoralizing. Easy to blame this one or that one out of the pen, but the fact remains, if I look closely, it is easy for me to understand why we lost this game.

I am not worried about the offense. Put together some terrific ABs throughout the game. Just didn't come through but that happens. You can't score 6+ runs every game.

Matusz and Gausman lost the game for us. Can't get rid of Matusz until Wright comes back. Gausman was bad in the spring and has been bad all year.

Based on what others have said I guess it could be Gamboa for a couple days and then Wright when he is rested?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This doesn't really matter. If he's healthy he's ready. You can't think about the "what if he fails" part of it. Plus I think he could pull a Pearce and elect to become a FA and resign with us. DFA Gausman. Move Weiters to the 60 day DL and add SJ.

DFA Gausman??? I assume you mean something else?

I am not worried about the offense. Put together some terrific ABs throughout the game. Just didn't come through but that happens. You can't score 6+ runs every game.

Matusz and Gausman lost the game for us. Can't get rid of Matusz until Wright comes back. Gausman was bad in the spring and has been bad all year.

Based on what others have said I guess it could be Gamboa for a couple days and then Wright when he is rested?

I did not think Matusz pitched poorly. His issue is that he can't get good RH hitters out. If he is used properly he will be fine.

This doesn't really matter. If he's healthy he's ready. You can't think about the "what if he fails" part of it. Plus I think he could pull a Pearce and elect to become a FA and resign with us. DFA Gausman. Move Weiters to the 60 day DL and add SJ.

DFA Gausman? Do you not understand roster moves?

Did you not read the OP? Gamboa can't be recalled yet.

I meant option Gausman smart stuff. But if we really wanna get particular, I bet optioning someone to the minors is technically a DFA. Just not put on Irrevocable waivers. Get over yourself dude.

No, an option is not technically a DFA. So thanks for answering my question.

I did not think Matusz pitched poorly. His issue is that he can't get good RH hitters out. If he is used properly he will be fine.

Seriously? 4-pitch walk to Pedroia, got behind to Ortiz (threw him ball four but got him to swing), wild pitched Pedroia to second, intentional walk, then got a double play. Next inning, gives up leadoff walk and sac bunt. Discounting the sacrifice, that is 5 batters, 3 baserunners, including the winning run. He was behind everybody, no command at all. How is that anything other than poor?

Seriously? 4-pitch walk to Pedroia, got behind to Ortiz (threw him ball four but got him to swing), wild pitched Pedroia to second, intentional walk, then got a double play. Next inning, gives up leadoff walk and sac bunt. Discounting the sacrifice, that is 5 batters, 3 baserunners, including the winning run. He was behind everybody, no command at all. How is that anything other than poor?

Yeah. Him getting Ortiz out was just luck. He could have easily have walked him if Ortiz laid off some pitches.

I meant option Gausman smart stuff. But if we really wanna get particular, I bet optioning someone to the minors is technically a DFA. Just not put on Irrevocable waivers. Get over yourself dude.

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I didn't know if you were in the DFA Hunter camp or wanted Gausman sent down. DFA isn't close to being sent to the minors.

He was pitching to get better matchups. His stuff does not play vs quality RH batters. Once he fell behind he was not going to give in.

It is clear that Gausman doesn't want to be in the BP
How so?

Simply amazing. So many opinions.

I was thinking about this in the 8th inning when Matusz came out. I can't see any other option than sending Gausman down. The entire reason for him being in the pen is to provide long relief if something happens to your starter. Well, something happened to the starter and Gausman comes into a tailor made long man situation but instead gives up more runs which he's done in each of his 4 appearances this season.

Instead of riding Gausman out for the long relief through the good and bad, Buck quickly yanks him. To me, this says that Buck no longer has confidence that he can be a long man. There's now no role for Gausman but to be a minor league starter and build some confidence.

Archived