Jimmy Paredes long-term

Brooks The Great

Right now, I'd rather have Young than Davis. Davis will be gone next year at any rate.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Young's weirdly anomalous spike season involved him OPSing .826 and being worth less than 2.0 wins. Since then he's been the short half of a DH platoon. Davis' weirdly anomalous spike season could have been a Mike Schmidt MVP season (minus the GG third base play). This year he's been playing reasonably well, is currently sporting an .860 OPS. Davis could put up an All Star season if things go right, but I'd have a hard time giving Young more than 200-300 PAs that play to his limited strengths.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't 1B one of the easiest positions to learn to play? Can Paredes learn to play there over the offseason if he continues to hit the way he is hitting? He can take over for Davis. Promoting from within seems to now be the Oriole way.

Certainly many, many players have slid down to first from other positions, and (in general) most folks who can play other positions could figure out how to play first base reasonably well. The overall fielding ability of major league first basemen is surely less than at any other position except DH. It's not a coincidence that very, very few established first basemen ever move to another position.

Certainly many, many players have slid down to first from other positions, and (in general) most folks who can play other positions could figure out how to play first base reasonably well. The overall fielding ability of major league first basemen is surely less than at any other position except DH. It's not a coincidence that very, very few established first basemen ever move to another position.

I was listening to Buck, I think it was Friday during the pre-game talk on the radio.

He was explaining that it was easier for left side of the infield to cross over and play the right side, then move right side over to play on the left side.

He was talking about options for 2nd.

He even talked about how they could move Davis to 3rd, move Manny to SS and Everth to 2nd.

Hadn't heard Buck allude to that before, it was always, Manny would not be moved to SS even in emergency, it woudn't be fair to him.

Third baseman (with poor arm accuracy) switching to first should not be terribly difficult. He should be able to handle or at least block hard hit balls with decent range. The most difficult throw is 90 feet (and has some degree of difficulty). The hardest play IMO is the tween hop, the one between the short hop (easy) long hop (more difficult). If his numbers remain good, they certainly should try to find a place to hold his own. With Davis gone next year, they should do some work with him there in ST.

I was listening to Buck, I think it was Friday during the pre-game talk on the radio.

He was explaining that it was easier for left side of the infield to cross over and play the right side, then move right side over to play on the left side.

He was talking about options for 2nd.

He even talked about how they could move Davis to 3rd, move Manny to SS and Everth to 2nd.

Hadn't heard Buck allude to that before, it was always, Manny would not be moved to SS even in emergency, it woudn't be fair to him.

So, are they anticipating the injury to Schoop to be season ending?

Not saying he can't learn 1st.

But, for some reason.

9 seasons in the minors and 644 games has him playing everywhere except for Catcher, CF and 1st.

Throw in another 64 games in the majors, and never played 1st.

Ernie Banks played almost exclusively shortstop for the first nine years of his career, with the exception of a few games at third. Then in 1962 he became almost exclusively a first baseman. That story has repeated itself countless times in baseball history.

Ernie Banks played almost exclusively shortstop for the first nine years of his career, with the exception of a few games at third. Then in 1962 he became almost exclusively a first baseman. That story has repeated itself countless times in baseball history.

I can't disagree.

But, you have to admit, it's strange to see a guy that has played all over the diamond as a utility guy and not having a single position to call home, not get a game over there.

Yes, 1st base through the years, was were the older sluggers were moved to, because they had no DH to hide them.

I keep waiting for Paredes to have a vicious slump that brings him down to Earth, and it keeps not happening. Just watching him on a daily basis, it really feels like he knows what he's doing up there. I keep reminding myself, "David Newhan. Daivd Newhan. David Newhan." But no matter how much I do it, "Melvin Mora" jumps into my mind and pushes David Newhan out of the frame.

I keep waiting for Paredes to have a vicious slump that brings him down to Earth, and it keeps not happening. Just watching him on a daily basis, it really feels like he knows what he's doing up there. I keep reminding myself, "David Newhan. Daivd Newhan. David Newhan." But no matter how much I do it, "Melvin Mora" jumps into my mind and pushes David Newhan out of the frame.

I keep hoping that maybe he's the 2nd coming of Jose Bautista......

I keep hoping that maybe he's the 2nd coming of Jose Bautista......

I know I'll get zero traction with this as long as he's OPSing a million, but Bautista walked in over 10% of his plate appearances prior to his breakout season. Paredes had a 6:1 K:BB ratio in AAA last year. As always, I root for all Orioles. But his recent Ruthian hot streak has dragged his career OPS up to .661. We'll see.

Archived