Jimmy Paredes long-term

Brooks The Great

What are they paying him?

And do you expect he'll be worth what they're paying him for his last 2 years (not that this year looks particularly promising for him)? I'd much rather bet on a great hitter in his mid 30's than a defensive shortstop in his mid 30's.

Too early to write off this season, he can still come off the DL and get 140 games in.

Not sure I call Cruz a great hitter, like Dungro pointed out, his stats prior to 2014.

Maybe, he continues hitting the cover off the ball for this year or next, but the odds are not for 4 years.

And he is already in his mid 30's, so in 4 years, he will almost be 40.

Hardy is just 32.

I know you are trying hard to compare the two, and to me, they are not comparable.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are they paying him?

And do you expect he'll be worth what they're paying him for his last 2 years (not that this year looks particularly promising for him)? I'd much rather bet on a great hitter in his mid 30's than a defensive shortstop in his mid 30's.

I'd much rather bet the other way. Hardy can be a reasonably decent player OPSing .620. If Cruz OPSes .730 he's basically a replacement player being paid $15M+ a year.

Hit in the face.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Looks like Jimmy Paredes took a ball to the face in BP. Just came off the field holding right cheek with trainer Richie Bancells. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">April 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Paredes was taking grounders at third. Don't know if it was from a ball hit by someone talking BP or a grounder hit at him from coach.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

Hit in the face.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Looks like Jimmy Paredes took a ball to the face in BP. Just came off the field holding right cheek with trainer Richie Bancells. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Paredes was taking grounders at third. Don't know if it was from a ball hit by someone talking BP or a grounder hit at him from coach.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

Just great.:rolleyes:

True, and while I did say reduce performance, it wasn't exactly like he was worthless.

But, it wasn't Bond-like numbers, like he was used to putting up, and not worth the 20-25 million he was earning.

His contract was at 5/$90 mm and he produced 36 rWAR in that span. Worth every penny and then some.

Reimold and Parmelee are both worse outfielders than Travis Snider.

I respect your opinion probably more than anyone else on here, but are you 100% sure on that? I know Reimold isn't great, but he looked much improved in ST and from the short sample size of Snider, I would go with Reimold honestly.

Thanks for the compliment. What has Snider done so terrible? I know he misjudged the ball against Toronto in Baltimore. Last night I saw him go back and try to scale the fence and the ball bounced off the wall to his side. He missed the cutoff man and Buck, I'm sure, will address that. What else have I missed? Has he missed an easy play yet?

Those were the big ones. He also had some near-misses out there where he misjudged initially and then kinda danced to the ball, but no errors.

Side note-Delmon Young ate his Wheaties last night-looked great in LF. He through a BULLET to 2nd at one point that surprised everyone I think.

I'd much rather bet the other way. Hardy can be a reasonably decent player OPSing .620. If Cruz OPSes .730 he's basically a replacement player being paid $15M+ a year.

Obviously none of us are changing their minds on this, but Hardy's almost certainly going to lose significant range and quickness in the next couple of years, and he's getting paid 16 mil for 2017. You're basing values on past ability to stay healthy just as much as ability to play at an exceptional level. And you can't predict future health with any degree of certainty. Hardy's ability to play at an exceptional level going forward is far less than Cruz'.

I respect your opinion probably more than anyone else on here, but are you 100% sure on that? I know Reimold isn't great, but he looked much improved in ST and from the short sample size of Snider, I would go with Reimold honestly.

From what I've seen, Snider is far better than Reimold. Reimold has an awful time tracking balls and gets terrible jumps. Snider seems to have better range than Markakis did and has a solid arm. He might not make every play he gets to like Markakis did - but Nick was special in that regard. Nolan is several notches below both, imo.

I am of the opinion that you go all in when you have a chance to win the World Series.

When you are a team with budgetary restrictions like the Orioles, you have to take advantage of your chances.

I think Buck and Dan want to build a consistent winner. But building a consistent winner can come at the cost of going all in and being WS caliber for a small window as opposed to just a playoff team for a longer period of time.

I guess it just depends on what you really value.

I am of the opinion that you go all in when you have a chance to win the World Series.

When you are a team with budgetary restrictions like the Orioles, you have to take advantage of your chances.

I think Buck and Dan want to build a consistent winner. But building a consistent winner can come at the cost of going all in and being WS caliber for a small window as opposed to just a playoff team for a longer period of time.

I guess it just depends on what you really value.

I think the playoffs are somewhat of a crap shoot. Anyone can beat anyone in a short series. So, I think we are better off building a team that can make the playoffs every year. If you get to the post season 7 out of every 10 years, chances are in one of those 7 you will get hot and run the table.

I think the playoffs are somewhat of a crap shoot. Anyone can beat anyone in a short series. So, I think we are better off building a team that can make the playoffs every year. If you get to the post season 7 out of every 10 years, chances are in one of those 7 you will get hot and run the table.

That is a very valid point. Giving yourself multiple chances to win it is definitely the high percentage play.

But I can't help but think overpaying for Cruz and Miller would have really put us over the top this year and next year although again, we probably would have been sacrificing the future to do so.

That Jiminez contract, while not horrible (and who knows, he could come through with a big year for us and totally prove worthy of said contract), did hamstring us a little with resigning Cruz and keeping Miller. The funds used for signing Jiminez could certainly have been put to use to pay the "extra" it would have cost to keep both players.

No use in crying over spilt milk though.

Archived