Jimmy Paredes long-term

Brooks The Great

Why does Paredes need to learn a position? DH seems fine for him. It is nice to possibly have someone that hits well enough to fill in the DH spot regularly.

That would be nice, but Buck doesn't seem to like full-time DHs. And it's a tall order to hit well enough to not have any defensive responsibilities and still be productive.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I'll get zero traction with this as long as he's OPSing a million, but Bautista walked in over 10% of his plate appearances prior to his breakout season. Paredes had a 6:1 K:BB ratio in AAA last year. As always, I root for all Orioles. But his recent Ruthian hot streak has dragged his career OPS up to .661. We'll see.

Bautista is a stretch. Maybe he'll eventually comp with somebody like Cespedes. They even ryhme. All the more reason to get him in the OF.

The O's need a good fielding 1st basemen to keep the rest of the infield playing at a high level. Catching those bounced throws in critical to the infield defense.

Davis can do that. So can Pearce. Walker is not up to it so far. Parmelee is supposed to be good. Paredes is not a good 2nd baseman. He is not a good 3rd baseman. There is a pretty decent chance that is would not be a good 1st baseman either. Not at the level Buck wants it played.

Some guys DH for a reason.

Bautista is a stretch. Maybe he'll eventually comp with somebody like Cespedes. They even ryhme. All the more reason to get him in the OF.

How about Mora?

- .734 MiL OPS with substantial time in the minors all the way to age 27.

- .702 OPS with the Mets in 1999-2000

- .793 OPS in a 10-year career for the Orioles starting at age 28.

I think that's my hope for Paredes, though I'd add that Mora was better than Paredes defensively at various positions before he settled in at 3B.

How about Mora?

I think that's my hope for Paredes, though I'd add that Mora was better than Paredes defensively at various positions before he settled in at 3B.

Sure. But Mora was a very disciplined hitter. This guy, not so much.This dude is fast too with a Canon arm. I'm thinking corner OF down the line is a real possibility.

How about Mora?

I realize I sound like a huge pessimist, but for every 100 Mora-like careers through age 27, roughly 100 of them end up with short/no MLB careers.

I realize I sound like a huge pessimist, but for every 100 Mora-like careers through age 27, roughly 100 of them end up with short/no MLB careers.

Obviously I'll be thrilled if Paredes has suddenly discovered something. He hit well in Baltimore last year and has torn the cover off the ball in both spring training and all through April. The sample size is starting to get a little larger. But I'll also be thrilled to ride this hot streak if he's just a AAAA dude playing out of his mind, which is obviously the more likely scenario. Either way, we need him right now.

He was always a good hitter though no?

It was just his shoddy defense and righty lefty splits that kept him from being a everyday major league player if I'm not mistaken.

But if he's finally entered his prime, we can get by with putting him in a corner outfield position (he does have a cannon arm) and having him rake in the middle of our order, it could be a HUGE boost to this team going forward. Definitely seems like the potential is there.

It was just his shoddy defense and righty lefty splits that kept him from being a everyday major league player if I'm not mistaken.

But if he's finally entered his prime, we can get by with putting him in a corner outfield position (he does have a cannon arm) and having him rake in the middle of our order, it could be a HUGE boost to this team going forward. Definitely seems like the potential is there.

No, not really. His minor league career high in homers is 13. His career high in walks is 28. He's had 4-5 seasons with K:BB numbers like 85:15. His career MLB OPS is .661. The highest he's ever OPS'd in the minors is .826, and last year at Norfolk he OPS'd .680. If he succeeds as a major league hitter it will be despite a lackluster resume to this point.

He has a career 752 minor league OPS and a 790ish OPS in AAA (mostly in the PCL). That with poor plate discipline. Good for an infielder, but not a great hitters resume. He has always hit for average but the power (gap and HR potential) he is showing doesn't seem evident in his MIL numbers.

How about Mora?

No one will like this, but you have to consider that PHDs might've played a role considering the time period, considering the records of some of his friends in the clubhouse, etc.

No one likes throwing out assertions which don't have the slightest bit of hard evidence behind them, but if we're being honest with ourselves we have to admit it's a pretty decent possibility.

In 2003 and 2004 he showed serious opposite way power, something I don't think many had seen nor do I think many scouts would've seen it as even remotely possible from a hitter like him...before 2002 his ISO was at about 100 and change, then it jumped up to 170-180 range in 2002 and 2003 and rose all the way to .222 in his silver slugger season.

Certainly, it's possible. We can only hope it's something innocent like he did serious weight training (without PED's) for the first time in his career, or he changed his swing, or some combination of the two. Didn't anyone suspect Mora at the time too?

I think "somebody" has pretty much speculated on every player in MLB at some point. :)

Archived