Jimmy Paredes long-term

Brooks The Great

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No one will like this, but you have to consider that PHDs might've played a role considering the time period, considering the records of some of his friends in the clubhouse, etc.

No one likes throwing out assertions which don't have the slightest bit of hard evidence behind them, but if we're being honest with ourselves we have to admit it's a pretty decent possibility.

In 2003 and 2004 he showed serious opposite way power, something I don't think many had seen nor do I think many scouts would've seen it as even remotely possible from a hitter like him...before 2002 his ISO was at about 100 and change, then it jumped up to 170-180 range in 2002 and 2003 and rose all the way to .222 in his silver slugger season.

I will concede it is possible. But as you say, there is not the slightest bit of hard evidence behind it, just a possible inference from the change in his performance and the era in which he played.

Bringing this back to Paredes, I don't think it is very likely that he has suddenly turned himself into a well above average major league hitter. But maybe something in the range of average is possible, if not that likely.

I will concede it is possible. But as you say, there is not the slightest bit of hard evidence behind it, just a possible inference from the change in his performance and the era in which he played.

Bringing this back to Paredes, I don't think it is very likely that he has suddenly turned himself into a well above average major league hitter. But maybe something in the range of average is possible, if not that likely.

The guy has some talent, he has been on the Oriole's radar before they got him the 2nd time around.

It wouldn't surprise me, that an off-season with Brady and getting his body in the best baseball shape would help him at the majors.

I will probably get flamed for this...but how about using Paredes as trade bait? Sell while he is at peak value. He could be intriguing as an MLB-ready prospect to a lot of teams. Could get something good for him and let his defense be somebody else's problem.

I will probably get flamed for this...but how about using Paredes as trade bait? Sell while he is at peak value. He could be intriguing as an MLB-ready prospect to a lot of teams. Could get something good for him and let his defense be somebody else's problem.

I think the more likely trade bait comes from the middle infield later in the season when guys get healthy. The O's have Hardy, Schoop, Cabrera, Flaherty and Navarro. They all look like major leaguers to me.

If we can see that Paredes' resume isn't impressive after a 30-second perusal of bb-ref, I'm sure the 30 GMs know that and 1000 other facts we don't have access to. Nobody cuts loose real talent to acquire a .780-OPS minor leaguer on a one-week tear in the majors.

Do you find it odd that Buck put him right into the #2 and #3 spot in the lineup based on last year and ST? You are probably right about Paredes. The numbers certainly say this is just one of those funny things. But Buck seems to be a believer. He didn't wait for the hot streak to put him right there at the top of the lineup.

But he didn't have to wait for the hot streak since he was hot in spring as well. There's a difference between riding the hot streak of a likely bench bat and giving up talent to acquire a likely bench bat in the midst of a hot streak. Drungo's right here. No GM is going to trade for Paredes unless you're talking absolute peanuts.

But he didn't have to wait for the hot streak since he was hot in spring as well. There's a difference between riding the hot streak of a likely bench bat and giving up talent to acquire a likely bench bat in the midst of a hot streak. Drungo's right here. No GM is going to trade for Paredes unless you're talking absolute peanuts.

Agreed, no Syd Thrifts around anymore.

Do you find it odd that Buck put him right into the #2 and #3 spot in the lineup based on last year and ST? You are probably right about Paredes. The numbers certainly say this is just one of those funny things. But Buck seems to be a believer. He didn't wait for the hot streak to put him right there at the top of the lineup.

Yes I do. Maybe he thinks something has changed in his approach. I hope that's true. I just keep going back to the fact he wasn't a very good hitter in AAA last year. By OPS, among players with 100+ PAs, he was the 8th-best hitting Omaha Royal last year. And the 12th-best hitting Norfolk Tide. Last year wasn't way out of line with the rest of his career.

Then Buck bought into his ST as carrying over when the lights went on. Lots of guys had good springs. They didn't all get moved up to 2-3 in the order.

Even if Buck is a big believer in Paredes's development, that isn't going to have much weight in whether or not a GM is willing to trade for Paredes, which is what this discussion was about anyways. The reality is he's got almost no track record and can't play much defense. There isn't going to be much of a market for that, even if he's hitting the snot out of the ball over a relatively small sample size.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jimmy Paredes also taking grounders at first base. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">April 27, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But he's never played first base.

No flame but why? You won't get anything for him without more track record. Clubs still think we have to DFA him. No.

Archived