Jimmy Paredes long-term

Brooks The Great

BABIP and HR/FB% seem unsustainable to me. He has dropped his GB% and upped his FB% though, so more power could be real. Though that generally makes the BABIP even lower, unless you are spraying line drives everywhere (his LD% is up slightly, but not enough to explain much). His SWSTR% is at his career normal, so expect his K% to go back up to 25%.

All in all, not looking great for a true breakout. Don't expect Pearce 2014.

He's had pretty high BABIP numbers in the minors, but he's currently sitting on .370. Which is close to a normal league-leading total. To me it would be somewhat surprising if Jimmy Paredes led the league in BABIP. It would also be a bit unusual if a player with a professional career high in homers of 13 continued to hit homers on about one-quarter of his flyballs, basically the same rate as Chris Davis and more frequently than Prince Fielder or Miguel Cabrera.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ask you to imagine if this is the long term Paredes. What does that mean for the O's in 2016 and beyond? If' date=' IF, if this is real?[/quote']

Obviously it would be quite nice if the O's have acquired a guy with a .370 BABIP and 20-something percent HR/FB rate for free. That's about zero drop-off from even a peak-production Nelson Cruz, at a tiny fraction of the commitment.

I ask you to imagine if this is the long term Paredes. What does that mean for the O's in 2016 and beyond? If' date=' IF, if this is real?[/quote']

I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it requires me to think that Jimmy will have the second best BABIP in the history of baseball. Ty Cobb had an insane .383 for his career.

I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it requires me to think that Jimmy will have the second best BABIP in the history of baseball. Ty Cobb had an insane .383 for his career.

Ty Cobb also faced pitchers who were pacing themselves for the possibility of going 14 innings every game, and who were signed and promoted through a haphazard "organization" of un- and loosely-affiliated independent minor league teams and scouting mostly by word-of-mouth. In other words, it was easier to find the holes when you were facing AA talent throwing 78 mph.

Archived