Sloppy Play: The Real Problem

Camden_yardbird

The Orioles entered last Friday's game with 2 errors. In the last five games they have amassed seven errors, and that doesn't count missed cutoffs. In addition, I have seen a few players take swings in 3-0 counts and some generally terrible AB's.

The Orioles are generally not playing very sound baseball. In the last few years a lot of that was fixed not only through coaching, which I have no doubt will have a positive effect here, but also through roster flexibility. Flexibility I don't really see right now with the current roster makeup. Players coming back from injuries will help. Hardy will have a huge calming influence on the infield. But generally I have been disappointed at what needs to be a very fundamentally strong team.

Davis thrown out at the plate. Davis doubled off of second. Two inning ending outs that should never have happened.

Good points. I meant to throw those in the first post as well.

I don't think bad pitching begets bad at bats and bad base running. As for defense, hard hit balls and base runners test the defense. But bad pitching does make players miss cut offs or rush when picking up a ball and miss it (something that has happened at least three times in recent games.)

In a way Toronto is the worst place for the team to be right now. They need to practice defense and I don't know how you can do that with that terrible field.

Our pen stinks - blown the last two games. We can't field. We stink w/ RISP.

Britton actually pitched pretty well - walked one batter, then got three easy ground balls that should have ended the game, then a strike out. Sloppy fielding cost us.

Orioles lead AL East in AVE (.270), OBP (.364), SLG (.460), and of course OPS (.824) with RISP.

Britton actually pitched pretty well - walked one batter, then got three easy ground balls that should have ended the game, then a strike out. Sloppy fielding cost us.

Orioles lead AL East in AVE (.270), OBP (.364), SLG (.460), and of course OPS (.824) with RISP.

He actually got 4 ground balls. The one up the middle, the one off his glove, the one to Manny at 3rd, and then the one where he finally got the last out.

Archived