It's time for David Lough to step forward

wildcard

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does everyone assume that Delmon over 500 at bats will be the same as Delmon over 250 at bats. There is a reason he has only had one good year playing full time in his entire career.

I don't know. I didn't make that assumption, so I'm not sure why you quoted me before making your point.

Why does everyone assume that Delmon over 500 at bats will be the same as Delmon over 250 at bats. There is a reason he has only had one good year playing full time in his entire career.

Why does everyone assume DD is clueless and has no idea of what he is doing?

Why does everyone assume DD is clueless and has no idea of what he is doing?

Actually, I think DD and Buck have done a great job. The fact that I question some of what they are doing may offend some but I believe it's my right as a fan? In any event, Delmon got 255 plate appearances last year. DD and Buck got it right.

I thought you were advocating playing Young full time in right, sorry if I got that wrong.

If you look back a little bit, you'll see that I was advocating getting one corner outfielder so we don't have to rely on the team of De Aza, Pearce, and Snider. I didn't include Young because his skillset is different (there are other reasons to keep him on the team), but wasn't suggesting playing him every day.

Am I the only one that thinks Lough has the highest ceiling in terms of WAR for the remainder of the season than De Aza, Snyder, Young and maybe Pearce? With the lineup getting a boost from having Flaherty and Hardy back all Lough would need to do is play is usual defense and bat 9th. No pressure of batting leadoff. I'd like to see him play about a week straight and see what happens.

Am I the only one that thinks Lough has the highest ceiling in terms of WAR for the remainder of the season than De Aza, Snyder, Young and maybe Pearce? With the lineup getting a boost from having Flaherty and Hardy back all Lough would need to do is play is usual defense and bat 9th. No pressure of batting leadoff. I'd like to see him play about a week straight and see what happens.

David Lough - 4.4 career WAR in 242 games

Alejandro De Aza - 6.2 career WAR in 582 games

Delmon Young - 2.6 career WAR in 1083 games

Steve Pearce - 6.4 career WAR in 411 games (5.9 WAR last year, 2nd best season is 0.6)

Travis Snider - 4.3 career WAR in 563 games.

He clearly has the highest upside and should at least get a CHANCE to play every day. Give the guy a chance.

David Lough - 4.4 career WAR in 242 games

Alejandro De Aza - 6.2 career WAR in 582 games

Delmon Young - 2.6 career WAR in 1083 games

Steve Pearce - 6.4 career WAR in 411 games (5.9 WAR last year, 2nd best season is 0.6)

Travis Snider - 4.3 career WAR in 563 games.

He clearly has the highest upside and should at least get a CHANCE to play every day. Give the guy a chance.

But defensive WAR shouldn't count and Buck only uses him against pitchers throwing with their off hand.

Delmon's career offense-only WAR is 8.1 over 1083 games. So if you use him right (that is, sparingly in the OF) . . .

Well, If he's a DH his WAR is run down more than from the OF positional adjustment. So it's just a matter of how bad his OF numbers are. Not to mention his RH splits (last year excepted) have generally been poor.

I think the Orioles have a good idea what they're doing here.

True. While we're at it lets make Matusz a starter based on his last three years pro-rata WAR.

Sure aside from the fact that in the last three seasons (2013-2015) he has been worth .8 rWAR in 111.2 innings. If you go 2012-2014 as your sample size then it's .7 rWAR in 200.2.

Huh it almost looks like your comparison is flawed.

Archived