The Time to Make a Decision on Chris Davis is Now

brianod

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

(MAY 4th)

Davis is hitting 263, 337, 513 with 5 hrs and 17 rbis. This in an ops of .849 and he projects out to hit 35 home runs and 120 rbis.

If the Orioles want to resign him, now is the time to do it. If he meets these projections, I don't think we'll be able to afford him. For all I know, the decision has been made and that decision is to let him go. But, if not, I don't think the Orioles have the luxury of waiting until the end of the season because I do expect him to do this for an entire season.

Brian, I must admit, this was an excellent call.

I'm not sure if Davis and his agent would have been willing to sit down and talk about the possibility of an extension at that time (May 4th), but it was definitely good foresight on your part that we try to get it done right then and there.

Chris has averaged a home run every 15.18 times at bat during his career. How does that match up against some of the great home run hitters of all time? Mantle one in every 15.11, Williams one in every 14.79, Gehrig one in every 16.22, Mays one in every 16.48 and Aaron one in every 16.37.

Bonds and Ruth rank at the top at 12.92 and 11.76. This season, Chris has one home run every 12.19 times at bat!

For once, Angelos needs to put his money where his mouth is and sign Davis. Oriole fans deserve a competitive team for their continual support and I don't think this team can be competitive without Davis!

Chris has averaged a home run every 15.18 times at bat during his career. How does that match up against some of the great home run hitters of all time? Mantle one in every 15.11, Williams one in every 14.79, Gehrig one in every 16.22, Mays one in every 16.48 and Aaron one in every 16.37.

Bonds and Ruth rank at the top at 12.92 and 11.76. This season, Chris has one home run every 12.19 times at bat!

For once, Angelos needs to put his money where his mouth is and sign Davis. Oriole fans deserve a competitive team for their continual support and I don't think this team can be competitive without Davis!

Dave Kingman averaged a homer every 15.11 PAs. Juan Gonzalez once every 15.05. Ryan Howard once every 15.05. Darryl Strawberry once every 16.1. Cecil Fielder once every 16.2. Richie Sexson once every 16.1. Hank Sauer once every 16.6. Rob Deer once every 16.9. How many of those guys wouldn't have been disasters with 5/125 or 7/175 contracts at 30?

O's can't afford a 6/150 type contract, it would come back to hurt them in the later years, and in the short term they need to fix the starting pitching or we miss the playoffs with or with out CD

Give Machado and Schoop 10 year extensions now.

Sign a couple Kazmir, Leake level starting pitchers.

Draft better, develop better

O's can't afford a 6/150 type contract, it would come back to hurt them in the later years, and in the short term they need to fix the starting pitching or we miss the playoffs with or with out CD

Give Machado and Schoop 10 year extensions now.

Sign a couple Kazmir, Leake level starting pitchers.

Draft better, develop better

If that not like Beauty contestants that have to say, "World Peace!"

2016 season is not going to depend on the 2016 draft.

Dave Kingman averaged a homer every 15.11 PAs. Juan Gonzalez once every 15.05. Ryan Howard once every 15.05. Darryl Strawberry once every 16.1. Cecil Fielder once every 16.2. Richie Sexson once every 16.1. Hank Sauer once every 16.6. Rob Deer once every 16.9. How many of those guys wouldn't have been disasters with 5/125 or 7/175 contracts at 30?

Home runs are not the be all and end all. I'm real happy with Chris' season because, in addition to the homers, he's got a decent BA and a very good OBP this year. He's had a great year.

Those stats include what they did in the later part of their careers. Davis is in his prime. How did the players you mention (other than Ruth and Bonds) do during their prime?

Davis' numbers since the All-Star break, while the Orioles were falling apart:

.307 BA

.413 OBP (fourth in the AL among full-time players)

.688 SLG (third in the AL among full-timers)

23 HRs (first in the AL)

55 runs (first in the AL)

55 BRIs (second in the AL)

81 Ks (first in the AL)

I'm amazed that Chris, while hitting all those homers, has batted over .300 and maintained an OBP of over .400 for the past two months.

You sure can't replace that production, not even with Chris Davis.

Everything is about context.

Chris Davis 2015 is really kind of irreplaceable.

Chris Davis 2014, completely replaceable.

2013, irreplaceable. 2012, decent, but replaceable.

We're looking into the future, and trying to guess what value the team can get with a multi-year deal for Chris Davis. Is one where the outcome is that he is irreplaceable every other year good enough? No one can know if that is going to be the result of a multi-year deal, of course, but it has been the case for 2 2-year cycles now.

Just my opinion but there is no such thing as a player that is irreplaceable.

If they can't keep Davis they will be a last place team no matter who they try to replace him with! Now before some smart Alec tries to throw out some big time hitter like Haroer or Trout I mean by any player realistically available!

Archived