The Time to Make a Decision on Chris Davis is Now

brianod

Lind and Encarnacion both have team options that will likely be taken. So the list is really Garret Jones, Napoli, Steve Pearce, and Mark Reynolds. Chris is going to be the top guy of that group.

The Pearce extension cries seem to have died down.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with Chris Davis is there is two sides to him. One side is capable of near MVP numbers. We saw this last half of 2012 and all of 2013. The other side is basically Mark Reynolds. He has been that most of his career.

Chen won't get his FA value of 10-14m from us sadly.

Honestly, if we were gonna spend big FA money, I would have rather seen Davis DFAed last off season, and us give Cruz what he wanted.

Lind and Encarnacion both have team options that will likely be taken. So the list is really Garret Jones, Napoli, Steve Pearce, and Mark Reynolds. Chris is going to be the top guy of that group.

Doesn't this mean that less teams will be shopping then?

Like at least one other post has mentioned, you may be able to go with a platoon of Snider/Pearce at 1B next season. I would be more interested in spending on an OFer. Justin Upton is the guy I'd like to see them throw money out if the average cost doesn't go much higher than 20 mil a year. Dexter Fowler and Denard Span are two other guys that could be signed for the OF and won't cost nearly as much.

I think if you don't sign Davis you have to bring in a legit force for LF or RF.

Water under the bridge. At this point we will have to compete for Davis on the open market if we want him back. I do not think we will do that, because I do not think the Orioles feel Davis is worth what he will bring on the open market. I like Chris, but I do not think he is a great player. His defense is average at best IMO, and his bat is hot and cold. He has awesome power that is only rivaled by his swing and miss tool. I predict he will get a 4 yr./ 75 million or 5 yr./ 90 million deal that he is not worth.

Water under the bridge. At this point we will have to compete for Davis on the open market if we want him back. I do not think we will do that, because I do not think the Orioles feel Davis is worth what he will bring on the open market. I like Chris, but I do not think he is a great player. His defense is average at best IMO, and his bat is hot and cold. He has awesome power that is only rivaled by his swing and miss tool. I predict he will get a 4 yr./ 75 million or 5 yr./ 90 million deal that he is not worth.

That is why I prefaced this with, if we want him. If we do, it's time to let him know. If not, let it ride. But, that decision is why DD gets paid the big bucks.

Also, I disagree about Chen. He's a nice 3rd starter that will never dominate. Not worth what he will get in free agency imo. With our pending losses, we need to decide who we can and can't lose and with our starting pitching depth, I feel Chen is definitely a nice to have.

Davis is almost definitely gone next year, but at least we'll get a pick out of it. Shame too, as I think 1B is going to be the hardest position for us to fill in 2016. Walker is struggling a bit and he's more of a DH type anyways and there isn't much on the free agent market. Hopefully Parmalee busts out.

Unless I'm alone on an island here Parmalee is in fact breaking out ... as much as one can in April. I'm happy to consider him in the 2016 1B mix.

Is this post from the future? You're lambasting Davis for leaving the Orioles when he hasn't actually, you know, left the Orioles?

How about we save the criticism for if and when something actually happens, rather than prematurely ripping a guy for something that he might not actually do.

That'd be like saying, "I can't believe Chris Davis is going to punt a kitten in six months. What a jerk."

I'm aware you don't like me, but I guess the rules make it ok for mods to personally attack people?

How about you save your criticism of me and keep it to yourself from this point? What do you think Paul, can you control yourself ?

I'm aware you don't like me, but I guess the rules make it ok for mods to personally attack people?

How about you save your criticism of me and keep it to yourself from this point? What do you think Paul, can you control yourself ?

So you post some hypothetical possibility in the past tense....."I thought Davis was smarter than that. Guess I was wrong."......and then get upset when someone calls you on it. Are you really that thin-skinned? Seriously?

So you post some hypothetical possibility in the past tense....."I thought Davis was smarter than that. Guess I was wrong."......and then get upset when someone calls you on it. Are you really that thin-skinned? Seriously?

I'm speaking to Paul.

Why are you asking?

Can you actually explain how you are being attacked?

Unless I'm alone on an island here Parmalee is in fact breaking out ... as much as one can in April. I'm happy to consider him in the 2016 1B mix.

His minor league numbers have always been good, so I don't think what he's doing in Norfolk, at age 27, is any indication of "breaking out." Despite good minor league numbers, he's struggled badly in the majors. He should definitely be in the mix for first base in 2016, but I'm not sure his profile has changed at all since he's joined the Orioles organization.

Please point out the personal attack in the post. I was responding to the substance of your comment. I wasn't aware I had a personal beef with you, but maybe I'm missing something.

Archived