The Time to Make a Decision on Chris Davis is Now

brianod

Markakis and Cruz should not be lumped together. Most people here were right on both - that we should have kept Cruz and should not have kept Markakis. Cruz was a great talent who was healthy. Markakis was a good talent who was clearly declining at least defensively and scheduled for a neck operation.

With Davis, you can't just say no without giving an alternative. If we had kept Cruz - which most people here were right on, it would be much easier to say no to Davis. Without him, Jones is the only legit middle of the lineup hitter we'd have - and Jones is not a great hitter. I'm not saying we have to keep Davis - as I think he'll be much more expensive than Cruz was - but we need an alternative if we let him get away. We can't just say no, and leave it at that.

You are wrong that "most people here" wanted to keep Cruz. Only 24% thought we should have matched the Mariners' offer.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/145416-Would-you-have-matched-SEA-offer-to-keep-Cruz-an-Oriole?highlight=cruz

As to Davis, it all depends on what you have to pay him. Of course we'd like him back at some price. But what price? At 6/$100 mm, I'd probably be in. At 7/$175 mm, I'd certainly be out. Somewhere in between is my stopping point, but I haven't sharpened my pencil yet.

Wasn't there a 2nd, more recent poll about retaining Cruz? As I recall, in that poll, most people thought that they should have kept him.

I wish we never traded Davey Johnson. I never wanted to. I wish we had kept Steve Finley and Curt Schilling. I wish we had traded Matt Riley. And Adam Loewen.

And Earl Monroe.

After the Bullets made it to the 1971 NBA Finals (and lost), Earl Monroe told the Bullets' management that he wanted to be traded to either the Bulls, the 76ers, of the Lakers.

Instead, they traded him to the Knicks for Mike Riordan and Dave Stallworth, just a few games into the following (1971-72) season.

The Bullets should have given Earl his original wish ...... they should have traded him to the Bulls for Chet Walker.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, and as you can see it is a poll ripe for revisionist history. Obviously there have been a number of developments between the two polls that could cause folks to change their votes.
Or it could have been a matter of "what have you done for me lately?"

The point is that, regardless of what fans here at OH thought about retaining or not retaining Cruz, the question still remains: was not resigning Cruz a budget issue set by PA or was it a baseball issue decided upon by DD? My understanding, from what I've read from what DD has said that this was a baseball issue decided upon by DD rather than a budget issue.

The point is that, regardless of what fans here at OH thought about retaining or not retaining Cruz, the question still remains: was not resigning Cruz a budget issue set by PA or was it a baseball issue decided upon by DD? My understanding, from what I've read from what DD has said that this was a baseball issue decided upon by DD rather than a budget issue.

Of course it's both. There's no separating the two. Cruz had a performance risk associated with him, as well as a specific cost. There was some cost point where the performance risk was worthwhile taking on. And some point where it wasn't. The Mariner's offer was clearly above that risk/cost threshold. I was and I remain adamantly against offering Cruz a 3- or 4-year deal last winter for anything like what he got, but I certainly have a cost/length point where I would have been all for signing him. For me that would have been more like 2/25.

Of course it's both. There's no separating the two. Cruz had a performance risk associated with him, as well as a specific cost. There was some cost point where the performance risk was worthwhile taking on. And some point where it wasn't. The Mariner's offer was clearly above that risk/cost threshold. I was and I remain adamantly against offering Cruz a 3- or 4-year deal last winter for anything like what he got, but I certainly have a cost/length point where I would have been all for signing him. For me that would have been more like 2/25.

The point has been made by others that average salaries 3 years from now are likely going to much higher than they are now. The NBA projects their salary cap to go up 60% from the 2015/16 season to the 2017/18 season. Baseball may not be going up at that rate, but it gives you an idea of the kind of increases you can expect. At some point, if you care about getting into the playoffs and having a chance to win championships - rather than just looking at a range you want to pay - you have to take a chance - unless you have better alternatives that give you a chance to win - especially when we're talking about a contract that's only in the mid 50's for 4 years - which might be a third of what Davis gets. I still haven't heard any of those better alternatives.

The point has been made by others that average salaries 3 years from now are likely going to much higher than they are now. The NBA projects their salary cap to go up 60% from the 2015/16 season to the 2017/18 season. Baseball may not be going up at that rate, but it gives you an idea of the kind of increases you can expect. At some point, if you care about getting into the playoffs and having a chance to win championships - rather than just looking at a range you want to pay - you have to take a chance - unless you have better alternatives that give you a chance to win - especially when we're talking about a contract that's only in the mid 50's for 4 years - which might be a third of what Davis gets. I still haven't heard any of those better alternatives.
I think that's a lot of speculation. I don't know that I've seen any credible sources indicating that baseball revenues or salary will go up substantially. And there's the risk that ala carte cable might cause revenues to go backwards, as a majority of almost all RSNs' revenues come from people who don't care about sports.

No. It was a poll taken after the race had been run. It doesn't count as a poll it counts as a "Me too."

If salaries truly do keep rising exponentially in the face of a looming cable revenue bubble, I agree completely. I would never have though that Ricky Nolasco would get so much. Or even Elsbury. It's insane!

If salaries truly do keep rising exponentially in the face of a looming cable revenue bubble, I agree completely. I would never have though that Ricky Nolasco would get so much. Or even Elsbury. It's insane!

I don't know how much baseball salaries will increase, but when it's been pretty much cemented that the NBA salary cap is going from 63,065,000 in the 2014/15 season to 108 mil in the 2017/18 season (71.4% increase), I find it hard to believe that baseball contracts won't increase significantly in that time. NFL contracts seem to going up quite a lot, as well. We shall see.

I don't know how much baseball salaries will increase, but when it's been pretty much cemented that the NBA salary cap is going from 63,065,000 in the 2014/15 season to 108 mil in the 2017/18 season (71.4% increase), I find it hard to believe that baseball contracts won't increase significantly in that time. NFL contracts seem to going up quite a lot, as well. We shall see.

Great time for players and owners to agree to a reduction of service time required before reaching free agency. Cut it back to 5 years and eliminate the Super 2. That last year of arb is sending salaries sky high.

Thinking about this lineup without Davis is so disturbing that I'm going to have another drink. Maybe two.

I think I'd be more concerned about Machado leaving in a few years because the O's can't afford him.

Give Davis the QO, let him walk. Extend Manny.

No. It was a poll taken after the race had been run. It doesn't count as a poll it counts as a "Me too."
To repeat my main point: the question still remains: was not resigning Cruz a budget issue set by PA or was it a baseball issue decided upon by DD? My understanding, from what I've read from what DD has said that this was a baseball issue decided upon by DD rather than a budget issue.

Archived