The Time to Make a Decision on Chris Davis is Now

brianod

Davis is hitting 263, 337, 513 with 5 hrs and 17 rbis. This in an ops of .849 and he projects out to hit 35 home runs and 120 rbis.

If the Orioles want to resign him, now is the time to do it. If he meets these projections, I don't think we'll be able to afford him. For all I know, the decision has been made and that decision is to let him go. But, if not, I don't think the Orioles have the luxury of waiting until the end of the season because I do expect him to do this for an entire season.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it very unlikely that a Boras client will sign an extension this close to free agency.

I am not one of those that thinks Boras controls the players that sign with him but the truth of the matter is guys don't sign with Boras so they can re-up when they hit free agency.

I find it very unlikely that a Boras client will sign an extension this close to free agency.

I am not one of those that thinks Boras controls the players that sign with him but the truth of the matter is guys don't sign with Boras so they can re-up when they hit free agency.

:agree:

Davis is almost definitely gone next year, but at least we'll get a pick out of it. Shame too, as I think 1B is going to be the hardest position for us to fill in 2016. Walker is struggling a bit and he's more of a DH type anyways and there isn't much on the free agent market. Hopefully Parmalee busts out.

Good point. If I'm the Orioles, I would estimate what Davis will get on the free agent market after projecting out as he's hitting currently. I would at least than make an effort to extend him, giving him a reasonable offer. What that offer would be, would be something less than his free agent value but still something lucrative. That is assuming, they want him back.

Davis is almost definitely gone next year, but at least we'll get a pick out of it. Shame too, as I think 1B is going to be the hardest position for us to fill in 2016. Walker is struggling a bit and he's more of a DH type anyways and there isn't much on the free agent market. Hopefully Parmalee busts out.

O's may be able to re-sign or extend Pearce.

Yes, the time to sign Machado is now.

Oh, you said Davis? Don't think so.

I agree that we should try to sign Machado to an extension eventually but disagree about doing it this year. Let's let him get through a year healthy and think about extending him next year.

I agree that we should try to sign Machado to an extension eventually but disagree about doing it this year. Let's let him get through a year healthy and think about extending him next year.

His first arbitration year is coming up this off-season. Once he gets there, game over.

His first arbitration year is coming up this off-season. Once he gets there, game over.

Why? If so, you could talk me into extending him this year but that is an awful risk to ask a risk averse organization to take...

Agree completely. The time was prior to this year if it was going to happen more than likely.

The only Boras guy I would resign though is Davis. Chen will be $$$ and MW is not worth the $.

Archived