The Time to Make a Decision on Chris Davis is Now

brianod

The Pearce extension cries seem to have died down.

Pearce is running an OPS roughly 200 points lower than his career average and has a BABIP of .205. Obviously he wasn't going to repeat last year, but I think it's a little early to write the guy off.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His minor league numbers have always been good, so I don't think what he's doing in Norfolk, at age 27, is any indication of "breaking out." Despite good minor league numbers, he's struggled badly in the majors. He should definitely be in the mix for first base in 2016, but I'm not sure his profile has changed at all since he's joined the Orioles organization.

When you depend on 27 year old career minor leaguers, you can get lucky and get last years Pearce. Or, you can get the norm and get this years Pearce. It's a judgment call and DD has been pretty good at those. Personally, I wouldn't want to go into next year with Parmalee a starter at 1b.

When you depend on 27 year old career minor leaguers, you can get lucky and get last years Pearce. Or, you can get the norm and get this years Pearce. It's a judgment call and DD has been pretty good at those. Personally, I wouldn't want to go into next year with Parmalee a starter at 1b.

Alvarez and maybe Yaz added to the outfield mix and frees up somebody to move to 1b.

Maybe, they trade an arm and get a hot bat, who knows what DD has up his sleeve.

Assuming Chris leaves, I'd expect we would bring in another AAAA type of 1b that could bust out. I wanted us to go after Ike Davis or Smoak which could have been a replacement next year, they fit that mold.

Neither of which had a decent year last year.

Pearce is running an OPS roughly 200 points lower than his career average and has a BABIP of .205. Obviously he wasn't going to repeat last year, but I think it's a little early to write the guy off.

Thanks but I said the extension calls, many off them for pretty big money, have died down, not that I was writing Pearce off. He may end up a better first base candidate than Davis. Let's not read things that aren't there.

I would extend Pearce for 3/15 right now if he would go for it. He is about to break out.

I would, too. He is a career .750 OPS guy and I look for him to repeat that going forward. And he is athletic enough to play good defense at multiple positions.

Assuming Chris leaves, I'd expect we would bring in another AAAA type of 1b that could bust out. I wanted us to go after Ike Davis or Smoak which could have been a replacement next year, they fit that mold.

You mean like c 2012 Chris Davis? Yeah I can see them take that approach.

You mean like c 2012 Chris Davis? Yeah I can see them take that approach.

Except that service-time-wise, these are not comparable situations. Both Ike Davis and Smoak have more service time in by the end of this season than Chris Davis had when we acquired him.

Looking at Boras clients an extension is very unlikely, however, it is possible and has been done before. Jered Weaver signed an extension with LAA prior to his FA. He was a year farther out from his FA, but he was also absolutely in his prime, around the same age, but without the baggage and question marks that Davis has. After his 2010 and 2011 performance, he definitely left money on the table to stay with LAA....because that's where he wanted to be.

I see it this way....same with Markakis.....if Davis wants to stay in Baltimore, he can stay in Baltimore. I think the Orioles will give him a reasonable offer. If he wants top dollar (Markakis), then he's gone. It's that simple. It's his decision to make, not Boras'.

Looking at Boras clients an extension is very unlikely, however, it is possible and has been done before. Jered Weaver signed an extension with LAA prior to his FA. He was a year farther out from his FA, but he was also absolutely in his prime, around the same age, but without the baggage and question marks that Davis has. After his 2010 and 2011 performance, he definitely left money on the table to stay with LAA....because that's where he wanted to be.

I see it this way....same with Markakis.....if Davis wants to stay in Baltimore, he can stay in Baltimore. I think the Orioles will give him a reasonable offer. If he wants top dollar (Markakis), then he's gone. It's that simple. It's his decision to make, not Boras'.

Are there any other extensions besides Weavers? There can't be that many Boras clients that have resigned, their MO is always the same.

Water under the bridge. At this point we will have to compete for Davis on the open market if we want him back. I do not think we will do that, because I do not think the Orioles feel Davis is worth what he will bring on the open market. I like Chris, but I do not think he is a great player. His defense is average at best IMO, and his bat is hot and cold. He has awesome power that is only rivaled by his swing and miss tool. I predict he will get a 4 yr./ 75 million or 5 yr./ 90 million deal that he is not worth.

If the O's could get Davis for 5/90 I think they would do that.

Archived