The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

Odd that Jones was the one complaining about the off season and is doing so well.. I gathered Davis was whining about himself and money.I guess Norris and Tillman are holding these feelings in.

I thought all ballplayers now had their innermost thoughts directly wired into Twitter. Huh.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we should revisit those states later in the summer. Normally hitters are better than pitchers early in the year. When the long hot days of summer hit is when pitching takes over. I don't think this lineup is anywhere close to what it was last year (when all were healthy). The hitting has already started to slow down.
Wait, what? Hitting is almost always better in mid-to-late summer than in April. Offense is directly correlated to temperature.

Yep, although scoring is up this season (4.1 runs per game per team in 2014, 4.3 this season). Regardless, the Orioles were 5th in the AL last year and are 4th in the AL this year, so the Orioles have maintained and in fact slightly exceeded the overall increase in offense this season.

The pitching will get better, and the hitting will likely go the other way (as it has been doing recently) in comparison to the rest of the league. But overall, the talent on the team is about average, and I don't see them competing without smoke and mirrors and a dab of black/orange magic - which is what I said in the offseason (sans the magic). I hope I'm wrong.

It's a curse I have of always being right. Most of you don't realize how lucky you are to usually go the other way.

The pitching will get better, and the hitting will likely go the other way (as it has been doing recently) in comparison to the rest of the league. But overall, the talent on the team is about average, and I don't see them competing without smoke and mirrors and a dab of black/orange magic - which is what I said in the offseason (sans the magic). I hope I'm wrong.

It's a curse I have of always being right. Most of you don't realize how lucky you are to usually go the other way.

I think it can be a competitive team, for the offense to sustain itself the platoons will need to work. We can't keep trotting Delmon Young out in RF everyday. The track records are there for them to work.

You should take that curse and apply it towards making some money.

I believe that DD was distracted by the prospect of going to Toronto to a much better job and therefore did not put an emphasis on replacing the offense and pitching lost by the departures of Cruz and Miller. He picked up scraps (which was the old status quo) and hoped for the best.

They said the return of Davis, Machado, Wieters (which hasn't happened yet) would somehow make up for the loss of Cruz and Markakis. That also has not happened.

I just get infuriated when folks just pretend like nothing is wrong. That's my issue. There's a lot wrong with the 2015 Orioles. All the stats and "hoping for the best" cannot make a single difference in the world.

MSK

There is something wrong....40% of the starting pitching has been bad.....fix the starters and we would be in first.

It absolutely has happened. The offense has been better than last year. Last season the O's were 5th in the AL with 4.4 runs per game. This year they are 4th in the AL with 4.7 runs per game.

The problem is that we entered the season with 6 legitimate starting pitchers and two of them have ERA's of 6.34 and 9.88, and Gausman isn't ready to step into the rotation. Also the defense has struggled. To claim that the Orioles failed to replace Cruz and Markakis is to ignore reality unless you believe that they made Norris and Tillman pitch better, made Machado play better defense, or kept Flaherty and Schoop healthy.

This is a very rational and logical post that will be overlooked by many because they don't want the real answer. They want to vent and complain.

You hit the nail on the head with this post. Thanks for stating so concisely and clearly.

Yes, Duquette is being paid a lot of money to run the team he resurrected from the dead three years ago, but he'd rather mail it in and hope the magical Cinderella horse-and-buggy from Toronto whisks him away to a beautiful fairyland.

I think to suggest the drama this off season had no effect on the way Duquette did his job is also far-fetched. In DD's view, PA prevented him from taking a lifetime opportunity job. Teams generally don't prevent their employees from taking promotions with other clubs. I know from reliable sources that he was pretty unhappy about it.

I'm not saying that it he mailed it in, or it affected the makeup of this year's team. I haven't seen any evidence of that. But the possibility that he was distracted, and it had some effect on the way he performed his job for a few weeks there is not the tin-foil hat theory you make it out to be.

Sorry to bring this mess up again.

I think to suggest the drama this off season had no effect on the way Duquette did his job is also far-fetched. In DD's view, PA prevented him from taking a lifetime opportunity job. Teams generally don't prevent their employees from taking promotions with other clubs. I know from reliable sources that he was pretty unhappy about it.

I'm not saying that it he mailed it in, or it affected the makeup of this year's team. I haven't seen any evidence of that. But the possibility that he was distracted, and it had some effect on the way he performed his job for a few weeks there is not the tin-foil hat theory you make it out to be.

Sorry to bring this mess up again.

It had nothing to do with anything. He missed no one because of it. His budget was spent and he had no one to trade.

Absolutely. Anyone who want to write the fiction is welcome to. Or perpetuate what the national media made out of it. With no knowledge.

If he had signed Nick to ease the masses I might have agreed he was distracted. Accounts indicate he was in on Cruz until it went to 4 years. Looked at Kemp and figured the dollars/numbers didn't make sense etc. Never was going to be in on Miller at 4/40 plus. Typical stuff.

Archived