The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

There are some guys who like to pick fights just so they can enjoy being beaten to a pulp and then convince themselves they won, because they are still semi- unconscious when it is over.

Larry Holmes vs. Tex Cobb, November of 1982.

[video=youtube;xswSNKUj6qk]

If Davis was on another team, he would be the guy that MSK would want to sell the farm for and bring in at any cost. Trade Davis, then bring in Hamilton and Tex? The logic boggles the mind. Are we supposed to be buyers or sellers?

He who dies with the most transactions wins.

o

Larry Holmes vs. Tex Cobb, November of 1982.

[video=youtube;xswSNKUj6qk]

From his Wikipedia page...

In January 2008 at age 57, Cobb graduated magna cum laude from Temple University with a bachelor's degree in sport and recreation management. He remarked that it was odd to hear the cheers of a packed arena without being in a boxing ring. "It was nice to have that opportunity to wear a robe, to step up there and not have to worry about bleeding," Cobb said.[9] Cobb's eldest son Bo was killed in an accident in early 1999. His younger son Joshua pursued a short career as a boxer.

There are some guys who like to pick fights just so they can enjoy being beaten to a pulp and then convince themselves they won, because they are still semi- unconscious when it is over.

It's mainly the same few folks who have a problem with my ideas. It's all good. I don't take it personally because the people who hear me out understand what I'm saying.

MSK

From his Wikipedia page...

In January 2008 at age 57, Cobb graduated magna cum laude from Temple University with a bachelor's degree in sport and recreation management. He remarked that it was odd to hear the cheers of a packed arena without being in a boxing ring. "It was nice to have that opportunity to wear a robe, to step up there and not have to worry about bleeding," Cobb said.[9] Cobb's eldest son Bo was killed in an accident in early 1999. His younger son Joshua pursued a short career as a boxer.

Cobb used to say that he (and his fellow boxers) were whores ...... they sold their blood instead of sex, though.

He seemed to me as though he was one of the most honest and down-to-earth world class boxers that I have known of.

That is why the Padres are five games up on the Dodgers right?

Gotta say the Kemp deal is looking real bad right now. Especially with Grandall looking like a stud. Not sure what it would have cost us but I was definitely interested in him. Still early, but he looks terrible at the plate.

No, they don't. The vast majority of the people on this board including the most prolific posters and the moderators all have an issue with the way you post and your "ideas". Do you just lie for the hell of it or are you this delusional for real? Just stop lying and I will leave you alone. You can have any opinion you want but you've just got to stop mischaracterizing people. Please, just stop.

I'm tired of you calling me a liar. I'm not a liar.

If I said "I hope the Orioles the best..." you and your ilk will say the opposite no matter what.

So whatever man.

MSK

Russ, when some folks are hardwired to defend the FO under any circumstance, they will find justifications for any horrible moves they make (or horrible non-moves). The stats are all some folks have to add to the discussion. Even though it's clear that Cruz and Miller will make us a better overall team, they'll tell you via a calculus formula that we're somehow "better" despite being in or near last place.

That is how screwed up the thought process can be so that the FO can be hailed as perfect.

I used to believe that FO members posted on here because I couldn't understand the slavish devotion to their poor management and offseason tactics, but now I realize it's deeper than that. Much deeper, and frankly more terrifying.

MSK

Please provide an argument to support this statement.

It's mainly the same few folks who have a problem with my ideas. It's all good. I don't take it personally because the people who hear me out understand what I'm saying.

MSK

If you're right and it's just a few folks who want to use logic and the best available evidence to put together an organization that wins within a realistic budget then I'm very happy being in that tiny minority. But I think that's wrong, and that most people generally get on board with a well-constructed argument grounded in reality.

But it is true it's very hard as a fan to not be drawn to emotional calls to do whatever is necessary to pursue short-term wins and unrealistic spending goals. I can see how a lot of fans are intrigued by "your" ideas about winning primarily through the free agent market and high-profile trades. Many or most fans see sports owners as guys with a large enough pile of cash to buy whomever free agent they think is required for their favorite team to win this year.

That's not what I said at all man.

I don't have a problem with sabermetrics or fans of statistical tracking of baseball performance. What I have a problem with are folks that use sabermetric thinking to argue against improving the team with proven talent.

There's ALWAYS this bizarre fascination with what the team will be like in 4-5 years rather than what we could do to win in the next 2-3 seasons. This line of thinking hasn't helped to sign international talent or significantly improved our farm system, yet, with the right set of VORPs, UZRs, WARs and OPS analyses, folks keep making the claims that the FO is working magic by not doing anything of significance during the offseason.

We should have traded Matusz when his value was high. We didn't.

Same with Davis.

At the right moment, those guys could have netted us some value. We waited and got nothing except reclamation projects.

Now, the numbers will somehow prove that Snider, De Aza and Lough are improvements, but I just don't see it on the field.

MSK

"What I have a problem with are folks that use sabermetric thinking to argue against improving the team with proven talent."

Shorter: What I have a problem with are folks that use stats and evidence to argue my conclusion that Cruz and Markakis are better than they are.

The Orioles have to be a team that thinks a few moves ahead into the future. They don't have the resources to make stupid decisions like signing a 34+ year old DH to a 4yr/60 million dollar contract and then spend there way out of that kind of mistake.

When did Matusz have value? Coming off a season with an ERA pushing 11? Maybe when he was drafted.

When should we have traded Chris Davis? Coming off of an MVP season? With your clairvoyance and expertise, I'm surprised no team has snatched you up to run their FO.

Oh and stats don't really care what you see on the field. That kind of logic makes you think Curt Blefary was like the greatest outfielder ever because you saw him make a great throw once.

Apparently you don't remember all the arguments against signing Mark Tex, or Josh Hamilton, or J. Werth, or M. Scherzer, or A. LaRouche or any proven talent who could improve the team.

I guess I made all that up.

MSK

Huh???? Debating whether or not to sign a potential FA equals being "slavish" and "hardwired to defend the FO under any circumstances"? :confused:

Hahaha.

Hahahahaha.

Hahahahaa.

So you are citing names that have more or less been disasters. Or citing contracts that only 4 teams in baseball would hand out.

It is quite hilarious. Don't even have to mention the fact that the Angels basically gave Hamilton back to the Rangers.

Archived